Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

EV fires and the incredible cost of repair means that EV insurance has more than quadrupled. Some say a ten fold increase - that's what has led to the insurance hikes for proper cars.

I'm waiting for a channel tunnel EV fire or a P&O being evacuated mid channel. Only then will folk wake up and shun these things.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

On the same lines I strongly suspect that ICE cars are subsidising EV production costs and they are consequently more expensive than they would be if EVs didn't exist.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67494082

Wasted wind power adds £40 to household energy bills, says think tank

Most of the UK's offshore wind farms are in England - Dogger Bank off the coast of Yorkshire is the largest in the world. Meanwhile, around half of onshore wind farms are in Scotland but most electricity is used in south-east England.

Carbon Tracker said the main problem in getting electricity to where it is needed is a bottleneck in transmission between Scotland and England.

The practice of switching off wind farms and ramping up power stations is known as "wind curtailment" and the costs are passed on to consumers, it said.

It warned those costs were set to increase to add £180 per year to bills by 2030, due to wind farms being built faster than the power cabling needed to transmit the electricity.

"The problem is, there are not enough cables. The logical solution would be to build more grid infrastructure," said Lorenzo Sani, analyst at Carbon Tracker.

"It's not even that expensive," he added, compared with mounting wind curtailment costs.

Still no sign of any joined up thinking. All that extra power that's going to be needed and nowhere to store it when there's too much! One of the best solutions I've seen was putting the Hydrogen producers close to the wind farms as they use massive amounts of amps with brute force electrolysis, then move that to where it's needed.

The solution* cant all be Li-ion based imo. Not that the AS residents will admit it. That recent video they all creamed over by Kryton and his lot when they said the grid and infrastructure simply wasn't a problem. :roll:
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm when they said the grid and infrastructure simply wasn't a problem. :roll:
Now as a complete amateur, my limited understanding was that the grid was shit and every winter they have brown trouser moments when brown-outs are on the cards.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:45 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:41 pm when they said the grid and infrastructure simply wasn't a problem. :roll:
Now as a complete amateur, my limited understanding was that the grid was shit and every winter they have brown trouser moments when brown-outs are on the cards.
It's all a balance, they have to try and pre-empt all the big events to make sure there's enough juice to keep the lights on. Years ago when everyone* watched the big soaps it was a nightmare as during a break or at the end of the program people flicked kettles on by the million!

There's a bit in that which shows you what they have to do at about 17 mins in, coincidentally I watched it last night. Years back I worked in one of the centres (for a few days) that is in charge of making those calls, MI5 did the security for it just in case... The new control room was as you'd expect it but walk out the door and directly across the corridor and into the old control room onto what looked like a Sean Connery era Bond set 8-)

They had massive Caterpillar turbo diesel gen sets sat in custom heated buildings with warm water running thru the engine blocks constantly in case of a blackout, 24/7/365.

Not having the lights go out is serious business!
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

I like electricity, electric motors, sparks, valves, transformers, amps, transmission lines, arcs, solenoids, transistors. I understand how it all works.

But I hate the dependance upon "the grid" that almost every Brit. seems to have. Electricity supply is taken so much for granted.

Supply should be randomly disconnected so that no user has supply for more than 6 days from 7, averaged over a year. That would stop lazy smug fuckers treating the luxury of electrical power as if it was a metabolic necessity like oxygen.

As for electric cars, I like the electric power-train side but the battery is grim, (closed-circuit chemistry is just a shit way of storing energy).

However, my main gripe with electric cars is they are as shit as contemporary Diesel or petrol cars.
Vile styling (Tesla excepted), loads of useless and software-dependant driver aids, terrible human / machine interface via screens, nonsensical luxuries, complexities, accessories, ridiculous weight (seldom less than 1/2 tonne per person), uncomfortable despite all of the "luxuries".
Nothing at all wrong with the motors and their drive electronics. Except that they are as yet not standardised in any way so, for now, will remain expensive to maintain . Eventually, car electric motors will become as generically interchangeable as industrial electric motors.

As for describing electric cars as "automatic". Well that just boils my piss. A Leaf or a Tesla is as "automatic" as a fixed-wheel bicycle.

People can be dumb, don't feed the dumbness!
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Asimo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm Supply should be randomly disconnected so that no user has supply for more than 6 days from 7, averaged over a year. That would stop lazy smug fuckers treating the luxury of electrical power as if it was a metabolic necessity like oxygen.
I can see you now in your high-backed armchair in your Bond-villain lair!
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:24 pm

Stroking pussy and instructing staff?
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Asimo wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:51 pm
Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:24 pm

Stroking pussy and instructing staff?
I think you've got that the wrong way round.

Ben
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://then24.com/2023/12/26/cant-upda ... not-start/

In short, the message on the screen (which some users indicate would correspond to a Ford Mach-E) indicates that an attempt has been made install an update, but it was not possible.

Blue screen of death, real or no real? It's been doing the rounds for a few days but not seen it posted anywhere else yet?