Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by Hooli »

I got ten years from the Yuasas in my 14. It's on its third Yuasa now after the second failed about ten years after I fitted it.

It actually only failed as the cunts who stole her left her dumped for five months with the ignition on.
Private signature, do not read
Barry Cade

Post by Barry Cade »

mercrocker wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:48 pm Is that a recent development, Barry? I have them on all my vehicles and have done for several years, the youngest one is at least five years old. Never had a failure....

Bollocks. I shouldn't have said that, should I?
I just found on attending battery problems, a large majority seemed to be Yuasa.. I suppose you'll always get other factors but I just found they seemed to be troublesome. Actually I thought I had a lazy starter on the Astro, always started but slow to turn over. Charged the battery overnight and it spins over perfectly, a few days later its back to hard starting. Drop tested battery and its duff, shows 12.6v and drops to 9.3 when turning over. It's a Yuasa 096 and about a year old. Put my 13 year old Ford battery in it and it's fine.. I get away with it because its an old van, but a modern vehicle won't even operate the starter under 10.5v or so.. this was the issue I usually saw. Turn key-nothing..

Still having battery/charging issues with the Transit. Drove 140 miles this morning and it shuts everything off after 10 mins,...

Had issues with Yuasa bike batteries in the past too. I just avoid them now
AlabamaShrimp

Post by AlabamaShrimp »

I don't know what to do for the best and need some advice.

The Fiesta ST we've had from new got taken away to a part time mechanic for the engine out to be rebuilt. Inste, in trying to save us money, he plugged it in, took it to the Ford garage and said its got this that and the other wrong with it and will cost loads, might not fix it and get rid.

Now I get that but essentially it's my wife everyday car and as she works with a guy helping the mechanic I thin he's got her convinced to just get rid. 'even rebuilt it might not work with the old bits'

This all sounds like bollocks to me as I'll try and fic anything and it was going for an engine rebuild so just stick new bits on!

I just want an easy life and no drama but I'm not sure what's best now. Just get rid as we're down to one car or spend the money no matter what?
These are some words.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

What's wrong with it? I can't remember if you've said or not.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Why would it not work with the old bits?
It's not exactly cutting edge technology is it?

Instead of an engine rebuild can you get an exchange engine?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Modern engines don't rebuild nicely like old stuff. I did a Laguna dci over 10 years ago and it only lived an extra 20k. The tolerances are much finer on modern shit and with cracked type big end caps they dont work so well with oversized shells. I would talk to a proper engine builder and see if he thinks it is worth rebuilding. It could be your mechanic just doesn't want to tie himself down with such a major job. You can do a lot of services in the time it takes to pull an engine.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
AlabamaShrimp

Post by AlabamaShrimp »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:07 pm Why would it not work with the old bits?

It's burning a ton of oil. While it past a compression test it can only be the rings so was going for a rebuild. This of course has put oil in the lamda sensor and the new spark plugs possibly messing them up.
It's showing an EGR fail too but it's brand new.

For me it's a rebuild, clean everything and then go from there but I don't think it will need it but I know nothing.
These are some words.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

AlabamaShrimp wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:41 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:07 pm Why would it not work with the old bits?

It's burning a ton of oil. While it past a compression test it can only be the rings so was going for a rebuild. This of course has put oil in the lamda sensor and the new spark plugs possibly messing them up.
It's showing an EGR fail too but it's brand new.

For me it's a rebuild, clean everything and then go from there but I don't think it will need it but I know nothing.
Aren't some of the Ford engines not that dear in the sum of things for a brand new one, to the point that no-one actually rebuilds them they just replace?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

These have a reputation for doing oil control rings don't they? Once replaced they don't do it again.
IF I'm thinking of the right engine. I would echo what Panhard had said, talk to someone who builds these engines
AlabamaShrimp

Post by AlabamaShrimp »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:14 pm These have a reputation for doing oil control rings don't they? Once replaced they don't do it again.
IF I'm thinking of the right engine. I would echo what Panhard had said, talk to someone who builds these engines
This is part of the problem we have. First was a guy that used to work at a modifying place for ST but now has how own garage. He was expensive and after the good compression teat changed the oil valve stems that did nothing.
So speak to an engineering place who said a full rebuild, at the maximum would be £1500 so after loads of stupidly high quotes she gives the car to a friend of a friend to take the engine out but then instead of just getting on with it it's all a 'we can save you money'
These are some words.