Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Estate

Post by SiC »

I'd say these have quietened down but I honestly don't know as I've forgotten what the old ones are like. It's a very quiet car so it's hard to know really.

I showed some confidence yesterday. If fuel was much more expensive I'd have hit the £99 limit.

She's a juicy old bugger.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Estate

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I did that on the 600. It plays havoc with stopping and turning.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 Estate & 2003 TT 1.8T

Post by SiC »

I think I'm going to sell my TT. MOT is due on the 27th Feb and its booked in for the 8th Feb. However there is something that has caught my eye and I'm quite tempted. But one-in-one-out means I need to sell this before hand. So may chuck it up cheap while its got 5 weeks MOT left.

Its been thoroughly dependable and I thoroughly trust it for all journeys - like my 500+ mile round trip to Conwy I did the other month in it. There are a few annoying issues that have mounted up but nothing that stops it being used safely as a car. I've just had it over a year now, bored and fancy a change. Maybe even sell my E320 too and go back to a singular modern. The amount I spend on cars is ridiculous (excluding purchase price, I'm into five figures every year in expenses), especially given the miles I do in them.

Did an oil change on it though today and took far longer than it should have done.
Went with 5W-40 instead of 5W-30 as apparently these 1.8t much prefer it. £15.89 after eBay discount code and then another £10 for a Mahle filter from Amazon next day order. So cheap enough.

Right pain in the arse to get to the oil filter. I removed all the plastics as I find it easier to get through the top. Still a right arse to get to.

Black thing in the middle here

I decided to suck out the oil as I cleaned the sump last year with a new oil pickup tube, so I knew there was no sludge. 

First attempt was to use this Aldi oil extractor pump for the first time that I bought a few years ago. Absolute load of crap and barely sucked out 500ml in 10 mins running.

So grabbed my old Pela and used that instead. Except this has a slight air leak, so I was constantly pumping the vacuum.

Did it in the end but took a good hour and half which is far longer than a oil change should take.

I sucked it out the dipstick tube thinking it would be quicker than jacking it up. Tbh by the time I had faffed around, I could have done it far quicker out the sump plug.

Its all done now though. I've given it a run and I just need to go check the level. Then reset the service indicator on the dash.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I had the same issue with my oil extractor (same as yours) and a new oil seal fixed it. I can see if I can dig the ebay purchase frkm my history if you like.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

MOT is tomorrow 🤞

Drove it into work. I might have to go round the car park a few times to make this roll over though. 

The left headlight has been missing it's back cover since I've owned the car. It was actually cheaper to get a complete used light than the back cover. To get the light cover on, it is a battery out job to not cut up your hand, so haven't got around to it.

Anyway I noticed that bugs have got into the light and killed themselves presumably from the heat. Inside wasn't particularly clean after no doubt years of environmental grime getting in with the cover missing.

Given I have a whole new light unit (where someone has put a new headlight adjuster motor in to replace the commonly temperamental ones), it made sense to replace it.

It's supposed to be a bumper off job as you need access to a bolt inside the grille. However I couldn't be bothered jacking the car up and risking scratching the bumper up. So decided to take the grille off instead.

This is the bolt you need access to.

It was a right fight to get this out, especially the connector was seized on. 

After a fight it was out. 

New headlight looks the same and reassembly was the opposite of removal. 

I'm not sure if it's aligned properly but that'll be picked up on the MOT tomorrow anyway. I suspect the lights are a bit high anyway since having all the springs replaced last year (it was a mix of wrong springs). So fully expect it to be failed and need adjustment for the MOT. 
christine

Post by christine »

I've already read this somewhere else..
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

christine wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:39 pm I've already read this somewhere else..
JUDAS!
christine

Post by christine »

Turncoat brownshirt cunt
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Passed.
Brakes was the same last year. Basically a bit rusty but they easily hard stop the car. They told me to just basically expect to do discs once the pad has worn down and not bother till then. The discs are pretty large on this anyway.
Exhaust leak has been there since I've had it. Seals up once the car is up to temperature.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240207-154131.png
Screenshot_20240207-154131.png (252.56 KiB) Viewed 965 times
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I've bought another "Bargain" modern 🫣

This needs to go. £1075 with the 12 months ticket but I'll be putting the Audi radio back in. The handsfree one needs to go in the new car as there is a massive hole where the radio should be.