Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by LynehamHerc »

Mike D wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:01 pm Sold my MZ today, that's a bit more room in the garage. Hopefully the Harley will sell soon, then i'm going to start looking for an every day bike to replace the supercub too, @Jerzy Woking how do you find your NC750?
I'm not certain that the 'tagging' function works on here, like a lot of things including the mods.
I'm happy to be proved wrong though, it won't be the first time.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Nah it doesn't. It's not a function provided by this forum software.
Private signature, do not read
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Mike D wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:01 pm Sold my MZ today, that's a bit more room in the garage. Hopefully the Harley will sell soon, then i'm going to start looking for an every day bike to replace the supercub too, @Jerzy Woking how do you find your NC750?
I had my reservations over the NC at first, it just seemed a bit average.

However, it has got under my skin now, and I like it. A few things:

1). It has, in 13,034 kms, averaged 76 mpg. Have had it as high as 93 on several occasions.

2) The seat was uncomfortable. Easily fixed with a €20, 2cm thick gel pad and my 12 year old sheepskin cover. Managed a few 12 hour days on it without (much) discomfort.

3) Standard tyres on mine were Dunlop Trail Max. Bloody horrible in the dry, worse in the wet (don't get much rain here thank God) and shite on gravel. I hate chucking away anything with life in it, so rode them until they were down to the wear limit at 11,000kms. Now wears Bridgestone BT016Pro's, which are great. It handles as good as my Steet Triple 675.

4). Has three stage mapping. For once I can tell tye differences between all three. Use rain mode when on gravel, max traction control, no ABS), otherwise its in Sport mode, which seems to be best for mpg.

5) Lights are LED and superb.

6) This is a bike I bought to see me out, so not too concerned by scratches or worn through paint. It's paint finish is still great, it is parked outside all the time too. Just a bit of paint has rubbed through on a frame protector above the gear lever

7) The Frunk. I wold never have though this would be useful. I can get 4 bottles of wine in there, or a helmet, or a few days shopping. Saves sticking the topbox on most days.

8) Aftermarket parts. I've just fitted a USB port, fork protectors, a Turkish (GP Komposite) rack and a cheap topbox for €200 , fuck paying Honda €650 for their rack and box. The Turkish rack is pressed CNC 'd steel, strong as anything, and so well made. Lots of accessories on Aliexpress such as mudguards extenders, radiator shields, etc., but I don't need those.

9) Servicing is every 12,000kms, and I took out Hondas 36,000km/3 year service plan, which also includes an extra two years Honda warranty over here.

I can't think of anything I don't like, that is since I sorted the seat comfort, even the screen is OK for 160kph motorway riding.

I would recommend it, yes.
Attachments
20230412_161324.jpg
20230412_161324.jpg (613.79 KiB) Viewed 429 times
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 am

I had my reservations over the NC at first, it just seemed a bit average.

However, it has got under my skin now, and I like it. A few things:

I can't think of anything I don't like, that is since I sorted the seat comfort, even the screen is OK for 160kph motorway riding.

I would recommend it, yes.
Thankyou for that, is yours an X? DCT or manual?

Harley goes on Saturday, so I have most of my garage space back now, plus some funds for something else. There's a few bikes I'd like, but I can see me ending up in the same situation as the Harley and MZ where I just don't get the time to ride them, the work commute is the only time I do. The Super cub has been cracking for that, but has spoiled me a bit with its 130mpg, it is however, a bit too slow. That's why I looked at the NC, It seems a good all rounder compromise, I like the idea of the luggage space too rather than chucking a box on for my work gear and waterproofs etc
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

How the fuck am I only getting 75mpg from my vespa? It is flat out for a most of the time though.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

paulplom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:41 pm How the fuck am I only getting 75mpg from my vespa? It is flat out for a most of the time though.
Because its got a child's engine in it.
CBA
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

paulplom wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:41 pm How the fuck am I only getting 75mpg from my vespa? It is flat out for a most of the time though.
Because it's spazomatic & carrying the weight of your bollocks, when they aren't dragging on the road.
Private signature, do not read
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Mike D wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:29 pm
Thankyou for that, is yours an X? DCT or manual?

Harley goes on Saturday, so I have most of my garage space back now, plus some funds for something else. There's a few bikes I'd like, but I can see me ending up in the same situation as the Harley and MZ where I just don't get the time to ride them, the work commute is the only time I do. The Super cub has been cracking for that, but has spoiled me a bit with its 130mpg, it is however, a bit too slow. That's why I looked at the NC, It seems a good all rounder compromise, I like the idea of the luggage space too rather than chucking a box on for my work gear and waterproofs etc
It's a manual. I did try the DCT, but didn't like it. I had the use of an automatic Aprilia Mana for a couple of months some years back, and that was a much nicer auto.

I have had a few 170-200 bhp bikes, great things, but for now the NC is ticking all the boxes. The frunk is amazing and apart from the scooters I have had, no other bike has really been this practical.

I had several MZ's (the 660 Yamaha engined ones) that I wish I still had. Very slim, great handling, frugal, great commuters.
Only bike I have never got on with was my Harley 1200 Sportster, but put that down to the horrendous riding position, handling and rubbish brakes, but the 100+ bhp from the tuned engine was fantastic in a straight-line.

Get a test ride on a new one, and try the DCT back to back. Couple of mates both had an NC700S, and I never noticed much difference in handling or performance.

I would have got an older one, but seeing as I'll probably do 20,000 miles in the next year or so, the extended warranty will come in handy, although they do seem to be capable of big miles.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Aero dynamics of a brick. Importantly, how many miles between refills?
When I rode my Yamaha 125 scooter to Czechia, calculations showed it was doing 110mpg, pinned to the stop every mile.

Shame the range was just 85 miles, it was a pain in the arse trying to work out where the next fuel station was. And yes, I could have carried a bit of spare fuel, but didn't think of that until I got back.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:54 am The Frunk.
Jerzy Woking wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:22 pm The frunk
Stop that nonsense before I send the glass-back macaque shagger down to give you a dry slap.