Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
panhard65

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Post by panhard65 »

To save me going down there was that a Jersey reg transporter parked there ? I know it was being picked up this morning for a body control computer to be coded in and it looks like he has finished it as it was facing the other way yesterday.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

panhard65 wrote:To save me going down there was that a Jersey reg transporter parked there ? I know it was being picked up this morning for a body control computer to be coded in and it looks like he has finished it as it was facing the other way yesterday.
Don't know if it was jersey reg but there was a VW Van and a Fabia. I deliberately tried to keep any customer vehicles out of the picture!
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

It must be the one then. Hopefully he has been able to recode the used body computer as it went back order with VW and the poxy van has been sitting there 4 weeks now.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

With the Merc E320 out of action, the TT sold and this broken, I don't have a working car for myself. This will mean I'd have to catch a bus into work. No thanks.

So instead of the gym, I need to do some evening repair action and allow me to get to the office tomorrow.

To be honest replacing this flange was a piece of piss. Clamp the pipes to reduce coolant loss, three hose clamps and replace.

I didn't replace the o-ring on the high pressure fuel pump when I did the cam follower. I forgot to order one and so didn't have it to hand. This is a decision I regret. I ran the engine up tonight and it doesn't show up a leak but I really should have changed it as it was all flat. I've ordered a new one and should be arriving tomorrow. That said, as it's not leaking, I'm tempted to leave it now! Risky to keep removing those HPFP torx bolts.

Speaking of oil, it says it need a service apparently.

However not only is the oil quite clean looking, it's actually on the full marker! I don't believe it is really due a service as any TFSI showing full must have been recently had it changed. Can't possibly be the case it doesn't burn it nor is it not leaking. 🤣

I've got a tub of oil, a filter and sump plug in the garage though, so I will do it soon. Might as well get a few miles under it first.

Took the cambelt cover off. All broken up unsurprisingly as it's probably been off several times in the cars life.

The belt is still there at least.

I mean it's obviously worn and I don't see any writing on it. However I don't really know how to judge it. I know it needs doing but is it imminently needing doing?

Was a right arse getting that cover back on with everything in the way. No wonder it's broken already.

After faffing around with that, I took it for a blast.

Pez shot.

I put the good stuff in. It's probably feeling spoilt as I bet most owners don't bother. I won't likely long term, especially commuting but right now I want to make sure she runs sweet as a nut. Full fat stuff will mean it'll not be retarding the ignition at all from knocking and should be giving me the full rated power.

Pumped up the tyres and gave her a good blast. Certainly is boosting absolutely fine. Enough that flooring it makes the front Avons scrabble for grip. I do miss the hard bite that Quattro (including Haldex) gives. 

Coming home I checked the coolant temperature with my cheapy code reader (my nice one is in the Merc still). Appeared to be perfectly okay. This is good as the thermostat is a nightmare on these to change. Also a good indication again that someone has spent money on this car as ime thermostats most people don't realise or notice need doing.

Cooling fans didn't kick in but did previously on the drive home. They're really loud and sound to be on full. Apparently this happens if the small fan stops working and the fan controller puts the large only ever onto full speed to compensate. I'll get my VCDS out and do a check at some point to confirm. That can be done when the cambelt is done. At least it's working - even if a bit embarrassingly noisy.

I need to check the engine number as it feels too healthy for a 198k engine and I can't help wonder if it might have been changed. It could just have been looked after and done mostly motorway miles too. 

Steering and gearbox feels tight. I can't decide if the gear cables look new. They don't look particularly dirty. Steering creaks a bit of you dry steer but iirc TADIS with the electric steering rack on Golf. VW said it's normal and didn't accept any warranty claims for it creaking. 

Brakes grab hard - typical modern over boosted setup. But discs and pads look fresh too. There is a intermittent rubbing noise from the rear when braking, so I need to double check that's all okay. Offside rear has been replaced in its life, so maybe the nearside rear has started to fail from age too. 

I've also been looking at track days. I definitely want to do one and I think this would be a good car to do it in. Respectably fast, great handling and steering feedback and decent safety if I make a big mistake. It's cheap enough that it'll be annoying if it break it (crash or blow up) but not a huge sum to loose. Thinking maybe this track is a good one for my first as not far away and doesn't look too fast: https://www.llandow.com/

Castle Combe is the nearest track near me but that I know is a notoriously fast and unforgiving track. I even remember my boss in my first job out of school (gap year) telling me that he stacks his not very old MGF into the tyre wall and quickly learnt what brake fade was. 

Before then though, I want to get a few miles under the wheels and make sure everything is golden. The mix of Falken and Roadstone (or whatever it is) on the rear will need sorting. Likewise prudent to change that cambelt if I'm going to be driving it really hard.
Weather can warm up a bit first before I do that though!

Short term I really want to fix that headlining. Also a bloody good scrub inside and out. 
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SiC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 pm I even remember my boss in my first job out of school (gap year) telling me that he stacks his not very old MGF into the tyre wall and quickly learnt what brake fade was. 
Easy done in one of those.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Rose/thorn between two thorns. Not doubt it'll gain a few more dents from one of these by the time I get back tonight. 

This car is "completely standard". Yeah...

I wonder if I can hack them to just light up instead of the stupid sequential thing. I'm not buying a new light though unless these break as these work. 

I do have a complete Febi PCV setup with replacement pipes coming though. Looking at YouTube videos of those that work and tune on TFSI for a living (e.g. Decimal Tenths/others), I notice they almost all use the stock PCV setup. The general view seems to be that if you use the pcv partial delete kit (like on mine) it's for one of two reasons. One because yours broke because it's worn out, two because your engine is highly tuned and keeps blowing them. First one isn't really a valid reason to delete it.

Deleting it brings its own set of potential problems. If it was as easy as just removing it, VAG would have done that rather than going through many revisions to make it last. Febi kit from Amazon was £60 - hopefully I might be able to get some of that by selling my existing kit on. 
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 amdelete delete Deleting
REMOVE!
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Hooli wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:48 am
SiC wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:41 amdelete delete Deleting
REMOVE!
Delete is the usually used terminology in tuning terminology.

Disable is often probably a more accurate word than remove.

But I don't care providing what I write it is understood.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Only in stuff written by yanks/idiots.

It's as bad as swap out not replace, or part out not strip for parts.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Hooli wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:17 pm Only in stuff written by yanks/idiots.

It's as bad as swap out not replace, or part out not strip for parts.
Nope. Used everywhere when talking about tuning. Including Eastern Europe, etc.

Sorry, I can't help if your struggling to figure what these words mean.