Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by paulplom »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:26 pm I'm a bit to old to play "hide the sausage"
Ftfy
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I just saw the vid on the new * Dacia they are releasing here for the first time. A step in the right direction, they've managed to get it to weigh about a tonne. The low power version is 45bhp!

That's half what my shitty 30 year old Pug has and virtually the same weight. Talk about progress :lol:
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

And a far shorter range.
Max Thunder

Post by Max Thunder »

Hi
These are similar to the first electrical vehicle I drove. In fact I guess the same for a lot of people.
FB_IMG_1708633836586.jpg
FB_IMG_1708633836586.jpg (429.08 KiB) Viewed 244 times
8-) Hi ...I might be wrong but I won't be.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:38 pm And a far shorter range.
It's reported range is 136 miles which we know it'll never see as none of the manufacturers seem to be able to tell the truth, maybe a 100 miles if it's cold, maybe less?

The saloon is quite capable of 50mpg on a run if you go steady and it's got a 70 litre tank. So yes, you could say the range is shorter. It doesn't take long to charge the Dacia tho as the battery isn't too big!

At least it's basic and cheap, It's only 17 grand :lol:
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Recently I looked at one of these as a potential replacement for our Citigo, when we need to replace it, whose normal longest journey is about 60 miles to Norwich and back. That'll do about 360 or so miles on a full tank, so Oxford and back if we go and see our youngest.

Given that the Up! starts from 14k+ I don't think 17k is especially expensive compared to it if you're in the market for a car of that price. It certainly is in terms of capability though.

We'll just keep our fingers crossed that the Citigo lasts another few years.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 am Recently I looked at one of these as a potential replacement for our Citigo, when we need to replace it, whose normal longest journey is about 60 miles to Norwich and back. That'll do about 360 or so miles on a full tank, so Oxford and back if we go and see our youngest.

Given that the Up! starts from 14k+ I don't think 17k is especially expensive compared to it if you're in the market for a car of that price. It certainly is in terms of capability though.

Keep an eye on the Cheap Sparks thread on AS. Second hand prices for EV's seems to be dropping off a cliff, huge discounts available but don't forget to factor in insurance costs.

My sister's just bought a Pug EV second hand and apart from a few teething issues I think it's doing the job but they've kept her husbands diesel estate for longer journeys. He got 6kw of solar installed 12 months ago, reckons payback at current prices is 7 years, they use it to keep the car topped up.

He had a Jag EV for about 6 months or so on a monthly deal and got on OK with it but the soaring insurance prices and issues they have put him off buying one. It was a 70K car but a new battery if it needs one is 35K :shock:
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

There are ways to fix it for less than 35k, might even cut the insurance costs down too

https://www.hotcars.com/rich-rebuilds-v ... sema-2021/
Bigstraight6

Post by Bigstraight6 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:23 am
LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 am Recently I looked at one of these as a potential replacement for our Citigo, when we need to replace it, whose normal longest journey is about 60 miles to Norwich and back. That'll do about 360 or so miles on a full tank, so Oxford and back if we go and see our youngest.

Keep an eye on the Cheap Sparks thread on AS. Second hand prices for EV's seems to be dropping off a cliff, huge discounts available but don't forget to factor in insurance costs.

My sister's just bought a Pug EV second hand and apart from a few teething issues I think it's doing the job but they've kept her husbands diesel estate for longer journeys. He got 6kw of solar installed 12 months ago, reckons payback at current prices is 7 years, they use it to keep the car topped up.

He had a Jag EV for about 6 months or so on a monthly deal and got on OK with it but the soaring insurance prices and issues they have put him off buying one. It was a 70K car but a new battery if it needs one is 35K :shock:
The reason for the price drop is lack of demand, the average working class used car buyers if my workplace is anything to go by are running cars aged between 5-15 years old, none being EV or even hybrid by which time how would the battery life be looking? Which is why used EV’s are a liability. My daily to and from work car is a 15 year old VW Polo TDI and it still does what’s required of it with minimal fuss and very frugally and will continue to do so for a good few years yet.
Your being woke is now our concern
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Bigstraight6 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:26 pm My daily to and from work car is a 15 year old VW Polo TDI and it still does what’s required of it with minimal fuss and very frugally and will continue to do so for a good few WEEKS yet.
ftfy