Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by bub2006 »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:55 pm
bub2006 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm Did my CBT on an electric scooter. Went like a stabbed rat up to 35 but sounded like an amped up mobility scooter. The other chap was on a small equivalent to 50 cc bike variant with a woeful battery capacity. The tester said it barely manages the CBT and has to be charged between compound work and the road ride. The scooter I used wasn't much better. Did the compound and road ride and used 70% battery in town so on the open road at full throttle it would be alot worse. He's said he is planning to get rid of them and go back to cheap Chinese scooters and bikes as they last alot longer,parts are easier to get and no worries of it dying on test.
Most riding schools give the Chinese bikes they own regular maintenance, such as oil changes, chain adjustment, brake pad changes. I have seen a couple that had in excess of 30,000 miles on the clock without major issues.

17 year olds are not known for their mechanical sympathy, and many a Honda, Suzuki, KTM and Yamaha 125's haven't outlasted their Chinese cousins.
I've had a few Chinese scooters and bikes and on the whole they've been alright but I do maintain them. As I previously said though the earlier stuff from mid 2000s era was shit. I bought a dirt cheap hongdu ob125c, CG knock off on a 56 plate to get me out of a bind for work when it was 3 years old and my RXS 100 on a g plate I had after it looked brand new in comparison. The "chrome" was peeling,switchgear fell apart and wiring was a mess. Frame welds were shit too and I bought it off a middle aged chap who bought it new and tried to keep it in good condition but threw in the towel with it.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Not electric but maybe its Nemesis:

"BMW is going all-in on hydrogen: they’ve moved on from electrics and have already launched their new car."

https://hydrogen-central.com/bmw-is-goi ... r-lagrada/
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I'm pleased as their EVs are the most ugly fucking things I've ever seen.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

A big ball swinger like BMW would have some sort of political sway I'd have thought. If stellantis and the Japs got in on it too then it would be pretty much curtains for EV
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Toyota are certainly in the game:

bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm Toyota are certainly in the game:

Toyota have been for a few years I think.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Honda were in the game too right up to the point they packedup in Swindon and fucked off home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Clarity
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

FatherJack wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:59 pm Honda were in the game too right up to the point they packedup in Swindon and fucked off home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Clarity
There wasn't another agenda till recently regarding alternative fuel and that's the crux. Lpg is dwindling and the Big push is to ev but alot of people are saying it's not viable. Even Rowan Atkinson did an article on being an early adopter and pretty much being conned.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

LPG dwindling is a deliberate action being carried out by Flogas, were there are independent suppliers eg Birmingham where most of the taxi fleet and Manchester converted car numbers are soaring. It's still a free option if you buy a new Dacia.

Unless you are a mad scientist type with access to solar to produce it and compress it hydrogen is never going to be a goer without a massive roll out of places to fill.

At the moment with 8 public filling stations there are more places to fill.a CNG car than there are hydrogen. The only one I've ever seen closed recently
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

I think the big shift is to do with synthetic fuel.

looking at the loop of, using wind to generate power that splits water which combines with air sourced CO2 to make synthetic fuel.

If you stop at Hydrogen and put it in fuel cells you have a high density energy source