What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bub2006 »

Hooli wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:14 pm
bub2006 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:54 pm My comp tester is petrol one and I believe diesels are higher comp. I thought pcv but now I'm unsure.
Ahh yeah, I forgot that. About double I think.
I may require a dab hand solderer soon ish sir if you may 😉
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'm washing my hair that day...
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Your beard always looks greasy, I wouldn't bother 🖕😂👍
Alf892

Post by Alf892 »

fried onions wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:48 pm Have you got one of those little magnets on the end of a stick you can poke about for it?
The bugger was there on the bench.......I tidied up before I started so it was the only one.

Went out to truck to measure up. Came back to pick up nut and couldn't start it on the thread.

Obvious answer is that someone came in and stole the right one and left the duff one.

No other answer makes sense.....
Last edited by Alf892 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alf892

Post by Alf892 »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:21 pm Bugger any chance you can wangle the broken tap out without making a mess of the thread?
Nah......3/16 unf thread and tap is down a bit.

The bolt would have held the handle on a spline and it is quite tight anyway so will be fine.......I just wanted a bolt in there cos it should have one!

Is now probably the world's most expensive windscreen replacement.......not least because Mrs Alf is now wanting to do some home improvements to match the cost
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Changed the front brake pads on the golf tonight. Thank fook they put wee plastic caps to stop the shite destroying the heads of the silly wee Allen bolts that hold the calipers on.
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

The eBay brush holder that I'd given up for dead arrived today, so I got my work Makita impact driver working at last.

I'd previously tried replacing the brushes but one of them had melted and had to be chipped off the inside of the holder. I couldn't get the brush to move freely on that side, so I gave up and ordered a new holder.

I made the unwise decision to do the job in the car, even though I knew how it would end. Sure enough I dropped a tiny screw down the side of the seat, but managed to bat it into the front footwell before it disappeared. I knew to keep away from the edge of the seat for the second one. I knew, but still managed to drop it again, this time into a box section under the seat rail. After removing the driver's seat (which would have been considerably easier with a working impact gun) I eventually managed to retrieve the screw and reassemble the gun.

£6 to repair a tool that would have cost £120 or more to replace was worth the effort though, even if it wasn't my £120 I was saving.

This is what it looked like many years ago.

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good work - a job's not worth doing unless at least two thirds of the time is spent looking for/picking up vital components......I put up a pair of ladder brackets today, a job for which 25 minutes was wasted trying to find the chuck key for my old B&D as I had negelected to charge up the Bosch.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That reminds me of yesterday. A fence panel had come apart in the wind so I decided to screw it back together.
After 2 screws the Makita gave up. Another 3 and the Bosch did the same.
This was after dropping the large box of assorted screws into the leaf fall, which took over an hour to sort them out.
Finishing it off today took 5 minutes.
Bertram

Post by Bertram »

I'm glad it's not just me.