The Last One

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

The Last One

Post by 8BAK465 »

I didnt want to fill up my project thread with this but I really do feel like this car is my last one?
Not saying my last car ever but last project as I think im past it,I get too tired and the enthusiasm in my head doesnt match what my strength or lack of it,Health and Age cannot do anymore. I know I posted within my thread that I had run out of enthusiasm a little while ago but its no longer that :roll:

I still have the enthusiasm I am afraid I just dont enjoy the work anymore :(

Minor tinkering yes I will still get a buzz from that but I just never want to take on a major project again just getting too tired,too old,too creaky and worn at the edges for it all...........................

Having spent a really full on week because I have my mates garage for just 1 week whilst he is away on hollibobs its really made me realise

A: I cant do it anymore
B: I dont want to

Adrenelin has kept me going and its been rather like ive been on auto pilot waiting for the warning lights to illuminate while limping it home :roll:

The little shit isnt going anywhere I just dont want to do another and I really really want to get this one finished so I can just enjoy it!

Just wondered are there others come to this stage?

Im not saying never as you know what it like when you see something for sale......................................

:?

Its more except as is rather than run oneself ragged or dont bother.................

I wouldnt mind this ones not really a restoration but still running me ragged so no more :cry:

If it wasnt the Mustang II,the car I had always promised myself I would walk away but its the one and I will see it through

And breathe....................................................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: The Last One

Post by LynehamHerc »

If this is your dream car there's no reason to do another unless you enjoy doing it.
I've had enough now with my T2 and MGB. I enjoy driving my T2 and hope to do the same with my MG when it eventually hits the road. I'll carry on tinkering etc. but it's getting more difficult crawling around underneath as I found out when seeing what had broken on my son's Pluriel.
I enjoyed doing them but old age has caught up with me, I've already had one knee op due to being too enthusiastic in removing a tree stump so I'm trying to be a bit more careful now.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

If you don't enjoy it there is no reason to worry about not doing another project.

I'll probably end up doing some large scale projects once I sort a garage out but only 'cause I quite like it when working at my own pace and I get my kick out of putting cars back on the road and used which might not be the case otherwise.

Trying to run a fleet of end of life crocks on no budget as your only transport has made the concept of a dedicated hobby/project car seem almost dreamy.
If only I'd known how easy I had it when I just had the 1300 and my Yaris all those years ago...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Struggling on your back in a parking space or driveway is absolutely no fun. If only garages were made large enough to allow you to work on a car whilst it was in them.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Pulling off another full resto? I swore I'll never do that again when I was still in my 30s. Consequently I'm an ex restorer for over twenty years now and believe I'm not likely to suffer from recidivism.
I used to be pretty hard core, having done eleven Imperials and about twenty cars. I just couldn't do it anymore. If I wake up nowadays not feeling any pain, I immediately check whether I haven't died by mistake.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Yes another one here. I'm 41 now and feel older. I've been messing with cars since the first but if wob (without hardener) I put into my mk1 Fiesta when I was 16. No more full restorations, I've done enough now. I just want to tinker. I'm only doing up the R16 and Wolseley because I couldn't sell them on AS so faced with the prospect of trying to sell them to the general public or just watching them rot away I have chosen to bring them back to life but I'm not really enjoying it. Partly I'm also doing it as my son has known them all his life and would love a trip out in them.

I suppose the old saying 'the things you own, own you' is true. I'm lucky though that everything I have I like so I'm just happy to keep it all indefinitely and I've also passed the part of my life where I feel I have to own everything I like. I can just admire an old car without the frustration of not owning it!
OMG U OK HUN?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Well at least im not the only one!

I do think I can finish it but i certainly dont want to do another..............................

Is that the end of my Bucket List Cars?

Not at all!

Theres one car left,just one but I doubt ill ever have one now because of scene tax :cry:

I grew up with Mk1 Cortinas.

My Dad,Auntie,Brother in Law,plus many extended family had them and I would love one not long term but would love to own one just once

But

Scene Tax :x

If I ever did have one it would be Bodgetastic!!!!!!!!!!!

Not dangerous but you know the sort of thing
left over lounge carpet mats
Redoxide around the lights
Filler in non structural areas

Just how I remember them :mrgreen:

But apart from that I have enough of a handful right now :roll:

I wouldnt mind but this isnt really a restoration im just sort of putting it back together as a survivor car with things being done safely yet so so :roll: not necessarily correct or oem etc just to look like its lived and as it is still here ;)

but yet its still killing me doing it!

Having a day off today back to it tomorrow once the engine bay has reached the ok happy medium ill leave it for my mate who is helping to take over ;)

Im having a lovely lazy day and im off to a buffet soon to eat myself silly before I return home to chocolate ;)

Because im worth it :lol:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I am sick of doing major work too.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

fried onions wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm I am sick of doing major work too.
Yes what ever happened to the days when you could give a Morris Minor a Carrot and some Sugar Lumps and it would be happy and serve you day after day after day ?

No wait that was a Donkey :roll:

My Bad :?
eddyramrod
The Invacare Destroyer

Post by eddyramrod »

Jo, you're not alone. I'm in the same position. I realised in Cyprus, when the rebuild of my A40 stalled, and having been back over here for several years now, I don't really have anywhere to work anyway. Also, of course, the way my health has slid over the last year or so is holding me back. I can see me hanging on to Huggy for a while yet, but he's not going to get any bodywork until he absolutely has to. Interior "will do as it is" and oily bits get what they need when they need it, which explains why I've just spent £400 on all-new brakes across the front. Bloody hell, those discs are heavy!
The 70s hotrodder in me still wishes I could have completed the A40, mind!
Custodian of an ungrateful Jag.