Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Uncle Albert

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by Uncle Albert »

Good to see your mojo returning somewhat Jo, and that you're starting to feel like everything's moving forward.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Mojo down a bit tonight as Transmission guy has let me down :(

This is why I dont ike Telephones and Telephone conversations as people will say things on the phone they cannot fulfill :x

Story goes like this

Originally I was told to get the transmission to him for 20th May to build week commencing 3rd June.

I accepted this being the show season starting and was getting the same sort of timescale from everybody I contacted I was fine with that.

Then he asked me to ring him,he said if i got it to him earlier he could do it earlier but this was over the phone.

This week was to be the build week if I could get it to him earlier at this point he has had it two weeks.

Tonight he drops the bombshell its not getting done until the date first arranged which means he will of had it a month by then :roll:

Im less Angry more embarased as my Mate took it out two weeks ahead of schedule and rushed it to him and I told him the dormant shell would be on his driveway for a couple of weeks now Ive got to tell him itll be there for a few more weeks :cry:

I just hate that im putting him out yet its not my fault as i was told it was to be done earlier

And so im held up,Theres nothing much left I can do until the car is back in one piece and can have the rear wing beaten out then and only then can I paint it :roll:

So yeh bit pissed off tonight :evil:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

My VW guy is very good and in some ways too helpful.

I'm 6 weeks past the original deadline to have the bodywork finished, it lives near the sea so needs regular 'fixing'. I now hope to have it back within the next couple of weeks, he's just trying to keep his head above water as a lot of jobs have turned out to be more time consuming than he originally thought that they would be.

Frustrating yes but sometimes people genuinely believe that they can do something and then things go wrong.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

chadders wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:44 am My VW guy is very good and in some ways too helpful.

I'm 6 weeks past the original deadline to have the bodywork finished, it lives near the sea so needs regular 'fixing'. I now hope to have it back within the next couple of weeks, he's just trying to keep his head above water as a lot of jobs have turned out to be more time consuming than he originally thought that they would be.

Frustrating yes but sometimes people genuinely believe that they can do something and then things go wrong.
I get the whole timescale thing im just more embarased because it was taken out two weeks ahead of schedule with a promise of it being done this week so my mate put himself out and thinks he is getting his driveway back next week :roll:

And its me that has to break it to him not the guy who said he could do it this week :roll:

So yeh Less :x more :oops:

:cry:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

TBH its not your fault and he'll know it and most people are used to garage 'promises' being broken, often for good reason.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

chadders wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:22 am TBH its not your fault and he'll know it and most people are used to garage 'promises' being broken, often for good reason.
He was fine about it but it is kind of holding me up on things I can do :(

But no matter how small I plan on trying to do stuff to the car whilst its over there as every little thing is one less thing to do when i can move it under its own steam again ;)
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

At least so far there weren't any really nasty surprises, which surprises me a bit tbh.
Not one of the restos I ever did was this straightforward.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I think my local garage had my 1300 for 2-3 months while it awaited the rear drums being fettled. It never got touched and I just took it home once it was MOT exempt and did it myself...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

The only thing that pished me off a bit was the guy asking if I could get it transported to him quck as a flash as he could do it sooner.Its not that im not getting it done sooner that got my back up its the fact ive inconvenianced somebody else who took it out and was promised they would have their driveway back now :(

Thankfully my mate was fine about it.

I have the best garage in the world bar non now :mrgreen:

And once the box of tricks has returned things can move forward and in the meantime I will just carry one with whatever I can do ;)

The Transmission wasnt really a surprise as soo much has been replaced on the car and that hadnt so hey its moved it back and forth for 12 months before complaining even though it was just demanded to work after a decade or so in slumber..........................
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Had this update tonight my C4 is finally on his bench :mrgreen:

Hi Jo, just a quick update, I just got your gearbox apart this evening. As far as I can see briefly - rear roller sprag clutch is bad on the wafer springs, broken up. I have a new one ok. Mechanically looks ok, Clutches and bands look ok. Seals in bad shape due to someone adding 'Seal restorer' at some point in its history. Whilst this snake oil temporarily brings stiff seals back to life it eventually turns them to jelly and then failure. There is probably some dirt and gum in the valvebody as usual bt overall nothing that cant be fixed up fine. As far as I can see - Converter looks ok no wear on the pump drive/ bush but I cannot see inside, if it was driving before it should be ok.

Cheers Jon

I have asked him to keep me posted but hopefully from his description it doesnt sound too bad?