What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
MLOR

Re: What did you do today?

Post by MLOR »

Hooli wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:08 pm MLOR, that is impressive rust. Well done.
I've owned the car from new.
I put the rust down to falling standards at VAG (never had rust like this on my mk1 Octys)
and the internet phact that Scottish roads are made from rock salt. :?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Well yes, you do drive around on a compressed mixture of rock salt & shortbread.
Private signature, do not read
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

That is frankly scary, that Skoda rust....It must have been starting that when it was a lot less than 10 years old. Blimey.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
MLOR

Post by MLOR »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:22 pm That is frankly scary, that Skoda rust....It must have been starting that when it was a lot less than 10 years old. Blimey.
I've had the car from new, it lives outside.
Rest of the car is fine but the rear subframe assembly looks like something sixty's Vauxhall would have been ashamed of.
Built in rust traps, poor surface coatings, no evidence of any underbody wax on the rear subframe assembly.
I have three 28 year old Discovery that their chassis have less rust than this subframe assembly.
It appears that it is the same right across the VAG range - anything fitted with the Golf V rear suspension.
When the replacement arms arrive it will be interesting to measure the thickness of the steel as the originals are made from less then 2mm thick metal.

I rather doubt the next "modern" will be a VAG which is a shame as the two mark 1 Octys that I had were great cars.
Both of the mark 2 have been disappointments.

Must get round to building up another Series Land Rover ready to be the reliable car for the next breakdown of this Octy.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

It's disappointing when assumed quality takes a nose-dive...I shall bear in mind for future low-cost purchases!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That's beyond awful. Looks almost like Japanese rustproofing. Our 2010 Audi A4 underneath in comparison is in excellent condition, despite doing 194k and not very pampered, nor had anything like that touched since out the factory.

Possibly just Scotland is effective at destroying cars? I've not heard about that era VAG rusting on the rear end like that around here from my local mechanics. Only the usual foam pad in wheel arch problem.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Not a lot but I did manage to polish/wax and then seal the rear 'C' pillars to see if I can stop water from soaking into the carbon. My next-door neighbour gave me a load of car cleaning type stuff in a handy yellow carrier, all stuff that he swore by when he had a Jag and did weddings.

As is my usual way, I said 'Thank you very much' and then intended to ignore it all as everyone has stuff that is supposed to be the 'bee's knee's' and it isn't...

I have already forgotten the name of the stuff but Mr Google says that this stuff really is the 'Bee's Knee's' and is recommended by the 2 bucket wrong 'un brigade. So I tried it on the carbon and it looks a lot shinier (but will it stop water getting through?) so I did the headlights that I painstakingly polished to a deep and lustrous shine a scant week ago.

Bugger, me, the headlights are so bright now I can see in the dark just using the shine from them without actually turning them on!
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Had a new* car delivered if anyone wants to play a guessing game of yes/no.

I like playing with myself, so I'll start...

Is it more the 30 years old?
Yes
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Series Landy?
John F

Post by John F »

Drum wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:24 pm Had a new* car delivered if anyone wants to play a guessing game of yes/no.

I like playing with myself, so I'll start...

Is it more the 30 years old?
Yes
Is it European (also includes the British Isles, obv.)?
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana