The Heirloom Laguna Deux - Gone

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: The Heirloom Laguna Deux - Redundant in the fleet

Post by SiC »

Hooli wrote:I've never found them that comfy really.
Horses for courses. I find Vauxhall seats atrociously bad, yet others find them comfortable.

These are no Saab seats but I've found them decent enough. Velour too!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AutoshiteBoy wrote:We sold a fair few of the mk1s, they were very comfortable too. The second one was even better, but man, those electrics.
Vast majority of the issues on these can be attributed to the drain pipe in the wheel arch blocking up. This goes up to a catch area which lives next to the Body ECU (window, central locking, lights, indicator relays, etc). Sunroof versions of these have a further drain channel from the roof down to this catch area.

What happens is the wheel arch drain blocks up and stops draining. Rainwater then backs up and overflow over that body ECU. This corrodes and gives a whole manor of problems like indicators stopping working, central locking randomly activating, etc.

Keep that drain clear and they're generally alright.

Water over ECUs was a common thing on many other cars of this era. Especially VAG and the Passat/A4/others! Except the German badge on the front gave sympathy and people remember them as reliable cars.

No electronic parking brake on this either which was the other thing that gave big problems! Automatic too, so parking brake not essential.

Keycards gave problems but again people put them through the wash, sat on them, etc. Two new genuine Renault ones on this!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

So a for sale advert.

I inherited this from my now late Grandfather, as he knew I liked Laguna's and he didn't want to scrap it. Owned by him from new until last year when it was given to me. In all that time it was garaged and regularly serviced.

Bought from Saga Cars Direct he chose the model one from top and ticked all the options. Actually ended up spending more than if he bought the top model. Why didn't he just buy the top of the range? Because he was been a vegetarian from Birth and the top model only came with leather seats. He couldn't have that out of principal. Incidentally I think the bolsters on this are made from leather.

When I got it last year it was out of MOT, so I had it delivered straight to my local garage. Passed after only needing the wiper blades changed!

Since then I've only done about 1k miles in a year and I really can't justify keeping it - despite the sentimental attachment. I already have 5 other cars and all more fun to drive, so the keys for this is usually the last I pick up. Excellent heater and very comfy both seats and suspension, so was nice to use over the winter and kept my old classics out of the worst of it.

I'll put 12 months MOT on it. Very confident it'll pass without too much trouble. Helps that it's been garaged virtually all its life.

Good bits
Cambelt, water pump and aux belt done last year when I got it as became due on age - have the receipt.
Regularly serviced when my grandfather owned it. Money no object in maintenance as he knew he would never be able to drive another car in his later years.
New battery last year
Had two new genuine Renault keycards - not cheap!
Low miles for the year 74k
Two owners - my grandfather and myself
Automatic gearbox shifts nicely
Factory Xenon lights in good condition
Sunroof
Interior is very clean. Never been smoked in or pets.
Comfy seats
Rides very well and easy to drive
Big boot
Rear window and boot blinds
Isofix mounts in the rear
First car to have 5 star NCAP crash rating
Four good tyres. Had two new Kumhos last year
Alloys in decent condition
Dual zone climate control
Cruise control
Fully working tyre pressure system
ABS
Speaking computer ! (Pretty sure my Grandad specced that just to irritate my Nan)

Bad bits
Aircon is weak and noisy. No record of ever having a regas, so likely genuinely needs one
Sat nav screen works and the radio through it too, but the Sat nav map doesn't work. It is an ancient and useless system anyway though. Typical french system with no postcode search option.
Body work is it's weakest point. He should have got off the road sooner than he did and often ended up catching it on the garage door posts. Bumpers scuffed and there is a long scratch on the rear drivers side door.

To sum up, it's basically a motorcar that runs well and does the job admirally. Perfect winter beater as these don't really rust.

I'll get some better pictures taken soon but here are mix of older ones. All high resolution images, so should be possible to zoom in. It is currently up in undercover storage. Hopefully get a chance this weekend to bring it back over

Velour interior

Funky pop-out cupholder

Quite a lot of room to work around in this engine bay

The scratch along the rear door

Bumper scuffs

Small crack but plastic bumpers

Based in North Somerset. Nearest train station is probably Yatton and I'm only about 10 minutes away from Bristol airport.

£650. I think is a fair price for a working car with 12 months ticket on?
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

good luck with the sale mon brave👍
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Even the TV advert for these at the time was good.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

richardthestag wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:06 pm good luck with the sale mon brave👍
I think I'll have to brave Gumtree/Facebook/Autotrader on this one. Not going to be an enjoyable experience and I know I'll be disappointed to find out it's been run into the ground after a year or two.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Bump as this is still here.

I've been pretending that I don't need to sell it and ignoring Mrs SiC questioning when I am going to sell it. Due to the sentimental question it's hard for me to let it go.

However it's replacement (Clio 172) is being a needy bastard and currently requiring quite a few hundred quid in parts needing to be spent on it. With this being so little used and completely redundant as we have the larger A4.

Currently sitting on a Boris MOT that expires in January 2021. I'd still MOT it for the £650 if there is interest, just I haven't so far as I haven't been back into work and near the MOT station I usually use. However I would take £550 Ono as it currently stands.

I'd love for this to go to a home where someone would find it useful and enjoy it, rather than just run it into the ground and scrap it. Unfortunately I imagine that's going to be the case as these have a long time to go before becoming a classic.

I've pulled it out storage and been using it recently. Haven't washed it but it doesn't get that dirty in storage. So here are some latest photos.

Look! No warning lights!

Massive boot on these too

Cambelt belt + tensioner, aux tensioner+belt, water pump, thermostat and brake fluid change receipt from when it was done last year.

Pretty much FSH from new until my Grandad stopped driving.

Close up of the damage where my grandad started to drive by feel rather than sight in his later years.

I'm in North Somerset and right near the mainline train station into London (Nailsea station) and 10 mins from Bristol
Airport. Possible to fly from Glasgow to Bristol for under 35 quid if you get a midweek morning flight!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: The Heirloom Laguna Deux - Still For Sale!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I'm surprised someone from the beige hasn't bought this.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Sold to a lurker on AS.

Sad to see it go because of the attachment. But pleased it'll get used. My grandad would have been pleased that it is going to get used more and not just wasted by being scrapped.
Last edited by SiC on Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Money will be handy to buy plenty of parts to fix the Clio too 😬