That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by SiC »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:40 pm
SiC wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:33 pm After that, I packed my tools in the boot and went for another pleasant drive. A total of 50 miles this year...!

........................................................... fucking hell!
I even managed to roll over a hundreds digit! Second time in my nearly two years ownership and also 16-17 years of its life + three owners.

Such is my confidence...
... I'll be joining all the other MGBs. Even if Mrs SiC thinks I or the car won't make it.

Anyone else going on here?
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Got my ticket to take the bx. Should be a good day out.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

The hearse is booked in, but the way it is going at the moment I am not certain it will make it.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The fuel gauge on this car is for indication only, its hardly a precision instrument. The only way to test the fuel consumption accurately is by brimming the tank and noting the odometer reading and quantity of petrol dispensed (save the receipt), then drive until its nearly empty, and repeat the last step. The difference in miles should be divided by the quantity in gallons of petrol added at the second fill up. I would expect around 25-30 m.p.g. for one of these.
You may benefit from using Super grade if the handbook states that should be used. I would think these were designed for Super, i.e. 97 RON petrol. Obviously, the further and faster you drive the car, the better will be the performance over time as the engine slowly wakes itself up from years of dormancy.
Good idea about keeping a full can in the boot, just make sure you have a funnel too!
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Mine ran a lot better on 5 star when it was available.

Localish running did about 25mpg and about 30 on a run where I could use the overdrive.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This came today, ready to put my treat on that's been in a box for well over a year now. Car has been well behaved enough to justify it being fitted.

Couldn't find any of the bolts with a suitable thread. These were the closest.

However they were munging up the thread. So I rooted around my spares box and found two old bolts with the right thread.

Couldn't get the pointy spacer thing (forget the name) on too, so left it off.

Then used this.

Which was a mistake. All it did was bugger up the end as the lack of pointy spacer thing meant it pushed against the thread. Luckily minimal damage. However while tightening the thread in the hub let go. Luckily the hold has more than enough thread for the bolt to go in tightly still if the wheel is reused.

So next plan was to whack the back with a hammer. Not a lot happened.

Then I attacked it with a chissel in the middle while hoping it would split or at least . Of course it didn't.

Had a stop to think about it. Thought about getting the grinder out and just cutting a slit into the fecker then drive a wedge down to crack it into half.

However I really didn't want to damage the hub and especially didn't want to damage the column. Went into the garage for a root around.

Came out and did this. Yes that cheap aluminium casted plate is bending quite a bit.

After applying what seemed way too much force on a breaker bar ... everything all fell off.

Assessing the situation, I realised it finally broke free.

Built my new steering wheel. Realised the hub was pretty shit quality, so filed away on the centre to smoothen some of the splines out.

Put wheel on, tightened it up with my breaker bar as tight as I could. Then torqued up to 50lb/ft - still actually tightened up some more. Hopefully it's on the splines enough. Not sure it went down as far as the old wheel though.

Anyway its on.

Much nicer to hold. It's smaller, but I can get a better grip on it so it's easier to turn. Also my knees don't hit so much on the back of it either. The old one was a bit too big. Nearer 16 inches. While this I think is a 14 inch wheel.

Brake parts haven't come still. Not even shipped yet which is very annoying. Might take the wheels off though for a quick inspection and maybe a quick cleanup.

I did buy a Clutch master cylinder from Moss though. I've noticed that the fluid in that master is getting very dark. Also first, second and especially reverse can be hard to select at times. So I'm suspecting it could be the seals going. Slave and pipes I did the other year, so they should be alright still. It's not a metal can original so it must have been replaced at some point. But not by me - so likely at least a good 16+ years old and most of that sitting around.

Probably fit that this weekend. Hopefully should be a reasonably easy job too.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That picture with all the clamps sums old car maintenance up to me, especially when they then fall off.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

Fuck, that looks like a fuck about and a half...

The old wheel looks similar to the Dolly one which isn't exactly great for gripping during spirited driving, not aided by the cover detaching from the metal and being a bit twisty in places.

I want to replace it with a Toledo one, which is even bigger, narrower and slippier. For extra giffer points and lighter steering for parking....
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Talking of steering wheels, I found a boss the other day. For Mountney wheels & fits
Sprite/Midget 1970>
MGB 1970>
Rover
Range Rover all (so just classics I bet)
Lotus Eclat

Hows that for thread drift? I've no idea why I've not got the wheel to match as I used it on my Midget...
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

captain_70s wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 12:27 pm ...which isn't exactly great for gripping during spirited driving,

...which is even bigger, narrower and slippier.
Top Gear Driving Gloves 2.jpg
Top Gear Driving Gloves 2.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 5116 times