16 Year olds dream - Aprilia RS50

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: 16 Year olds dream - Aprilia RS50

Post by DodgeRover »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:53 pm I bet this isn't restricted anymore.
It may well be restricted again for the first few weeks after he gets on the road, I managed to get in trouble on my 30mph on a good day 50cc let alone 50+mph.

We went out on push bikes earlier in the week for me to give him a lesson about road positioning and knowing what is happening around you, observations and life savers etc. I was not a popular dad.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

#cyclecunt
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:53 pm
Warren t claim wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:53 pm I bet this isn't restricted anymore.
It may well be restricted again for the first few weeks after he gets on the road, I managed to get in trouble on my 30mph on a good day 50cc let alone 50+mph.

We went out on push bikes earlier in the week for me to give him a lesson about road positioning and knowing what is happening around you, observations and life savers etc. I was not a popular dad.
Honestly, instructors really don't want biker dads teaching their lads pre CBT. I remember teaching a lad classroom theory about turns and he started questioning me on procedures. His dad, someone who did a DAS course sometime in the mid 90s, drummed into him O.I.L.S, Observation, indication, lifesaver, and steer. The lad didn't believe me when I said that nowadays we teach O.S.M.P.S.L. Observation, maneuver, position, speed and lifesaver.

Another time I was driving behind a dad and lad, dad on an 1100 Zephyr and lad on a CBR125, around a reasonably tricky roundabout. Dad seemed to be giving his lad some (hopefully) post CBT instruction using the "just do whatever I do" tried and tested* method of instruction. Both of them were lucky not to get wiped out by an NHS logistics wagon and drag. Dad was even making dickhead errors like coming to a stop and putting his right foot down rather than putting his left foot down and using the right foot to cover the rear brake. I know this seems to be standard practice with plod bikers but the DSA doesn't like it. A couple of miles later I witnessed dad showing off his balance by not putting a foot down at a junction. Normally this isn't a problem but this wasn't a give way, it was a stop sign and therefore an automatic serious/dangerous fail.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aye the time for picking up bad habits and so on is after your test. Good habits too, if they are non test approved.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:23 am
DodgeRover wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Honestly, instructors really don't want biker dads teaching their lads pre CBT. I remember teaching a lad classroom theory about turns and he started questioning me on procedures. His dad, someone who did a DAS course sometime in the mid 90s, drummed into him O.I.L.S, Observation, indication, lifesaver, and steer. The lad didn't believe me when I said that nowadays we teach O.S.M.P.S.L. Observation, maneuver, position, speed and lifesaver.

Another time I was driving behind a dad and lad, dad on an 1100 Zephyr and lad on a CBR125, around a reasonably tricky roundabout. Dad seemed to be giving his lad some (hopefully) post CBT instruction using the "just do whatever I do" tried and tested* method of instruction. Both of them were lucky not to get wiped out by an NHS logistics wagon and drag. Dad was even making dickhead errors like coming to a stop and putting his right foot down rather than putting his left foot down and using the right foot to cover the rear brake. I know this seems to be standard practice with plod bikers but the DSA doesn't like it. A couple of miles later I witnessed dad showing off his balance by not putting a foot down at a junction. Normally this isn't a problem but this wasn't a give way, it was a stop sign and therefore an automatic serious/dangerous fail.
TBH it was mainly trying to instill in him some situational awareness by checking what's happening before you change road position and the sense of paranoia that keeps you alive,
I think O.S.M.P.S.L is what I do anyway, I'm pretty sure that was how I was taught but that would have been mid 90s.

I'm absolutely guilty of sitting and balancing at a junction when on a trail bike and of putting the wrong leg down when stopped on the flat, I think it comes from starting out riding trials and having the brake on the 'wrong' side. I'll make a mental note not to do it if he's watching

Does the CBT cover stuff like that? Also can be do his theory test before the CBT? He's been busy practising online and managed to pass both it and the hazard perception mock.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The cbt covers everything really. The whole thing is about safety. They show you how to push the bike, how to put it on it's centre stand etc. It's really good and I learned a lot. At standstill you put your left leg down and hold the bike with your right leg on the brake.
You do a lot of practising in the car park before they let you on the road/thinks you're safe enough.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Good point about the left-foot brake. A bloke I worked with (blood biker, Advanced Evangelist, etc.) wasn't even aware that, before he was born, we all rear-braked on the left hand side of the bike...

I keep murmuring about getting another bike before I get much older - think a bit of CBT would not go amiss for me either.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:35 pm Good point about the left-foot brake. A bloke I worked with (blood biker, Advanced Evangelist, etc.) wasn't even aware that, before he was born, we all rear-braked on the left hand side of the bike...

I keep murmuring about getting another bike before I get much older - think a bit of CBT would not go amiss for me either.....
There is the well known police "Met Shuffle" taught by well, you can guess the police force.

Basically come to a halt at a traffic light, with your right foot covering the back brake. Put your right foot down, put the bike in neutral with your left foot. Then put your left foot down and cover the rear brake with your right.

Then the lights change, and you commence the Met Shuffle by reversing the sequence

Other forces just said "cover the front brake with your right hand"
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

That's always assuming you can find a neutral when you need one..
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:38 pm
mercrocker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:35 pm Good point about the left-foot brake. A bloke I worked with (blood biker, Advanced Evangelist, etc.) wasn't even aware that, before he was born, we all rear-braked on the left hand side of the bike...

There is the well known police "Met Shuffle" taught by well, you can guess the police force.

Basically come to a halt at a traffic light, with your right foot covering the back brake. Put your right foot down, put the bike in neutral with your left foot. Then put your left foot down and cover the rear brake with your right.

Then the lights change, and you commence the Met Shuffle by reversing the sequence

Other forces just said "cover the front brake with your right hand"
Quite impressive considering the wanky gearchange that BMW boxers had.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.