16 Year olds dream - Aprilia RS50

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Re: 16 Year olds dream - Aprilia RS50

Post by brandersnatch »

I was taught the ‘Hendon shuffle’ on my Rac-Acu course. Soon ditched it for the ‘courier at traffic lights in neutral right foot down left foot hovering over the gear lever left hand covering the clutch lights change clutch in into first and away’ technique.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

brandersnatch wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:54 am I was taught the ‘Hendon shuffle’ on my Rac-Acu course. Soon ditched it for the ‘courier at traffic lights in neutral right foot down left foot hovering over the gear lever left hand covering the clutch lights change clutch in into first and away’ technique.
Maybe that dated back to the days of right foot gearchanges?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

We've got the weekend to ourselves myself and my son so we've cracked on with this, got it running eventually, it actually sounds great.
However spark is crap which absolutely isn't helping. Noted newish looking China wonder coil that's been fitted and thought I would just have a look and see if they had fitted a stator as well. Looks standard which is probably better than budget Chinese, however the play in the main bearings isn't.
Pulling the engine now. If I'm careful we can get it striped in comfort at the kitchen table....
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 5:04 pm We've got the weekend to ourselves myself and my son so we've cracked on with this, got it running eventually, it actually sounds great.
However spark is crap which absolutely isn't helping. Noted newish looking China wonder coil that's been fitted and thought I would just have a look and see if they had fitted a stator as well. Looks standard which is probably better than budget Chinese, however the play in the main bearings isn't.
Pulling the engine now. If I'm careful we can get it striped in comfort at the kitchen table....
Don't do it. I got my wife's shifts at work wrong 11 years ago and she caught me stripping a c90 in the bathtub. We lived up three flights of stairs so no small feat. She still hasn't let me live it down.
My ex caught me stripping a scooter in the loung about 15 years ago,wiring looms hanging off the picture frames. She wasn't impressed either.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Plenty of newspaper down and you'll be fine* That was how my Grandad messed with mower engines when I was a kid. My Nan was extremely house proud but a farmers daughter so he got away with it. I tried the same trick in our newly built conservatory doing a piston ring change on my 1986 YZ80S when I was about 14 as it made sense to do it there being warm with loads of good light. My mother hit the fucking roof, one of the very rare moments I'd seen her lose her rag!!!
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

When I was young, I always kept my bikes in the house, single and I owned the house so no fucker to complain.
christine

Post by christine »

My mum got the right hump when i used the cutlery handles to change a tyre on my bike
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

christine wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:37 pm My mum got the right hump when i used the cutlery handles to change a tyre on my bike
I thought that's what every Dad showed their son to use for removing push bike tyres?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

DodgeRover wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 8:06 pm
christine wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:37 pm My mum got the right hump when i used the cutlery handles to change a tyre on my bike
I thought that's what every Dad showed their son to use for removing push bike tyres?
Yep, mine certainly did, once FFS I can't have been more than 7 and I had to do mine and my fucking brothers forever after that.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Pressing on with this as and when I get a minute.
2 broken rear sprocket retaining bolts drilled and tapped.
Went to strip the rear brake caliper expecting it to need a piston and it has a stainless one fitted, all cleaned up nicely, pins greased.
Went to fit the new pads and they've sent the wrong ones.

Flywheel puller didn't fit either.