Registering a French registered car already over here.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
dean36014

Registering a French registered car already over here.

Post by dean36014 »

As you probably know my partner died. Her parents would like me to have her Citroen bx gti auto. It's over here already as she had moved back to UK and was in the process of UK registering it. Knowing Kate though that was probably getting the relevant paperwork and putting it on her to do pile. How on earth would I go about getting it registered over here? Would I need a receipt from the estate for proof of purchase? I'd imagine I'm going to end up paying all sorts of fees and taxes to DVLA. Still deciding if I want it as it would be a constant reminder and I'm not exactly good these days with paperwork.
DodgeRover

Re: Registering a French registered car already over here.

Post by DodgeRover »

How far through the registration process did she get? It might be easier just to complete it in her name then transfer it to you.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Yeah check what paperwork there is. If it is all there then she hadn't started the process. What you need is the carte gris proof of a NOVA declaration, mot if required and that is about it. If she had started the process then it is unlikely the carte gris will be there as that has to be sent off. If you have the carte gris but no other paperwork you can contact DVLA with the vin number to find out if the NOVA has been done. It is all fairly easy to do but puts a lot of people off taking a car on.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Thanks
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Thanks for the Information. I've no idea how far she'd got. Her mum has all the paperwork out of her flat now and I'm not going to ask at this moment for it. There's a funeral to get out the way first then it can be dealt with. Then we also have the fun of a coroner's inquest to deal with. Is so complicated as she still technically worked for a french company, has french bank accounts and all the paperwork that comes through is obviously written in French. Her mum has had to employ a solicitor to deal with the French side of things to see if there is a will registered over there somewhere. The company themselves have offered to pay for her funeral which is a nice touch.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Tried the Google translate app? Hover over words and it'll translate it on the fly. It's pretty decent translation nowadays.
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Luckily she had a family friend who is french so is helping out with paperwork. I'm not having much to do with that side of things although she was my partner we didn't live together. It doesn't concern me about wills, etc as I was never interested in her money, just her. The fact I'm possibly getting her bx is enough for me. I've been using what time I can spare helping sort out her flat. Finally finished with bagging and disposing of all her clothes, the local charities have done very well. I've kept her Citroen jackets and put them in a memory box. We've pretty much searched everywhere looking for a will now, if there isn't one registered in France then it goes to court over here and split between her parents. I can't do anymore now as I'm taking my daughter to the airport tomorrow then I'm on lockdown for the rest of next week as I'm under the knife(hopefully) on Thursday. After that I can't drive for a few weeks then need to get used to a life prostate free.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

dean36014 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:54 pm Luckily she had a family friend who is french so is helping out with paperwork. I'm not having much to do with that side of things although she was my partner we didn't live together. It doesn't concern me about wills, etc as I was never interested in her money, just her. The fact I'm possibly getting her bx is enough for me. I've been using what time I can spare helping sort out her flat. Finally finished with bagging and disposing of all her clothes, the local charities have done very well. I've kept her Citroen jackets and put them in a memory box. We've pretty much searched everywhere looking for a will now, if there isn't one registered in France then it goes to court over here and split between her parents. I can't do anymore now as I'm taking my daughter to the airport tomorrow then I'm on lockdown for the rest of next week as I'm under the knife(hopefully) on Thursday. After that I can't drive for a few weeks then need to get used to a life prostate free.
Just that bit is so much to take onboard. Life has a way of really just chucking it and the kitchen sink at you at times and you couldn't make it up :cry: I've been working a bit with someone who's had the op just lately, he's 72, type 1 diabetic and still happy he's still here. Still climbing ladders in 32 degrees plus of heat the other week grafting fitting windows, still doing a bit volunteering at his football club etc etc etc.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

dean36014 wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:21 pm Thanks for the Information. I've no idea how far she'd got. Her mum has all the paperwork out of her flat now and I'm not going to ask at this moment for it. There's a funeral to get out the way first then it can be dealt with. Then we also have the fun of a coroner's inquest to deal with. Is so complicated as she still technically worked for a french company, has french bank accounts and all the paperwork that comes through is obviously written in French. Her mum has had to employ a solicitor to deal with the French side of things to see if there is a will registered over there somewhere. The company themselves have offered to pay for her funeral which is a nice touch.
French bank accounts are no fun to deal with. I accidentally ended up with one when I tried to join the BNP.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

This car went on a charity rally

It was inherited from an elderly relative, had some Belgian paperwork but hadn't ever been been registered in the UK.
The Engine and chassis number didnt match the paperwork but with some persistence and a little help from Citroen HQ
it ended up legal and road registered.
At which point they immediately drove to Bongo-Bongo land and gave it away, to a charity auction.

So it can be done, unless the DVLA have upgraded the identity check droids in the mean time

A link of variable quality, its from 2005 when the rally took place
https://www.renault4.co.uk/plymouth-dakar.htm