The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: The 'modern cars are shit' thread.

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

paulplom wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:51 am I've always knocked autos out of drive when idling. I didn't know you weren't meant to.
I've always done that as well.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:08 pm I reckon that somewhere there's a sweet spot, post the introduction of ABS, airbags etc. and before all the electronic shit like touchscreens, lane departure warnings etc..
Late 90s to early 2000s for me. Both my cars have abs and electric windows with power steering. Focus has traction control and ac. No multiple ecu controls,touchscreens or over protective nannies. Focus is 2003, ignis is 2004.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

My Jaguar is not really 'modern' but it has a shitload of interesting/irritating features, like a touchscreen that does most things, but sometimes when the touchscreen hasn't got the necessary control, you have to use the buttons just to be really bloody stupid. it has a dipping passenger side mirror that dips whenever reverse is selected, sometimes it even goes back to where it should be when out of reverse... but not often.

It has electric seats that move in a gazillion different directions with three memories but the seat controls also do the headrests but don't have any markings for them (only found out after trying for ages to lift the headrests by hand to fit the seat cover thing) it also has an adjustable steering column and... adjustable foot pedals which seems like overkill.

All the aircon controls are on the screen but there are separate heater controls as well... why?

All the stereo controls are on the screen... also on the steering wheel... and again on a separate panel below the screen for 'some' of the controls... Why?

It does have some excellent features though: brakes that work and steering that makes it go around corners and stuff and they are admirably light and hassle-free apart from being a bit over-eager to assist you if you press the brake pedal just a tiny bit harder than usual when it goes into panic mode and tries to throw myself and the rear seat drivers through the windscreen, though the pigeon I braked to miss is probably VERY grateful!

Just discovered that it moves the steering wheel up and away and the driver's seat down and back when you take the key out, probably very useful for an over-sized Yank but not so great when you're a wizened old cripple who likes the seat being high up to get out easier.

All in all, I don't find any of this too onerous, but I can imagine the world of joy and happiness coming my way when inevitably it goes wrong, it's an old Jag, and it's bound to!
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:04 pm
paulplom wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:51 am I've always knocked autos out of drive when idling. I didn't know you weren't meant to.
Force of habit for me knocking it into N. Handbrake gets little enough exercise on the Jizz as it is.

I still haven't got out of starting in N either (because starting a V300 CVT in P with the choke out burns out clutches)
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Hooli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:05 am
SiC wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:01 am worry the engine will overcome the handbrake.
Jaguar, eh?

Ben
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:35 pm
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:04 pm
Force of habit for me knocking it into N. Handbrake gets little enough exercise on the Jizz as it is.

I still haven't got out of starting in N either (because starting a V300 CVT in P with the choke out burns out clutches)
That was one thing I remembered when I owned my 340 from my dad and grandad with my grandads G plate 340DL. I think it was mentioned in the handbook wasn't it?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

I think it was.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Must have read it or been told it somewhere as my dad and grandad didn't have the internet in 1992!
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Jazoli wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:59 pm
fried onions wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:10 pm I have no time for techy shit made by geeks running logic circuits. Life's too short and our private motoring is under enough pressure as it is. So I only drive real cars designed by men who actually knew what they were doing. If a car from the 1950's is still giving good reliable service in the 21st century, against the odds, it cannot be a bad thing. I enjoy my comfortably sprung seats, generous interior space and instant response from the controls. And generally economical on fuel. The only 'connectivity' I think of is all 4 wheels on the road.
And you'd happily do 500 miles a week in it on all roads in all conditions?
TBH I do more than that when I'm working normally in my mk2 transit and the squires Humber probably had a better driving experience from new!
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I think you have to get to around the 80's before you get really usable cars. Lets face it heaters were all shit until then and trying to keep a windscreen clear on a wet day sat in London traffic is no fun when it is steaming up all the time. Also cars became slightly more water tight as well with decent seals. The pinacle was probably the 90's with most cars not rusting away and capable of doing a couple of hundred k if looked after. These moderns with the stupid touchscreens and poor visability really are a step backward for road saftey.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter