Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
captain_70s

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by captain_70s »

I arc welded the Acclaim's downpipe back together in the back court of my flat and it got it by until I threw a new system at it.
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Yes if I can hold back buying a new system until early next year that would be ideal.

The Minis MOT is tomorrow and I predict some or more expense......
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Screenshot_20210706-102800_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210706-102800_Chrome.jpg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
I had a look at the subframe, it hasn't really deteriorated since I painted it last year.

Air bag is an arse though. Apparently I need a new 'clock spring which I thought was a wind up but its the stalk assembly and slip ring. The Mini FB pages are unilaterally useless. Unless it's a sticker or a spoiler, no cunt knows. One person mentioned 'needs coded to the car' but I'm not sure.

Sidelight is also an arse. Its so badly corroded that the bulb holder has completely seized inside the assembly. I can get a new one for 50 quid but delivery is the 85th of Julember. I can't be arsed waiting that long.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Clock spring is also called the rotary coupling in Rover speak I believe. Has is definitely failed or does it just need a clean/WD40?
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

The airbag light comes right backnon as soon as the steering wheel is turned so I'm assuming it's fubar.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I've known them on Rovers just get dry/stiff.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AFAIK clock springs dont need coding (but then it's BMW). Usually there is a window in them with a indicator. They need fitting on straight with that indicator showing. Otherwise full lock can break them.

The steering angle sensor for the traction control may need recalibrating though.

Clearing the light, does it come back straight away? I.e. is the code present or just intermittent?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Split_Pin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:58 pm The airbag light comes right backnon as soon as the steering wheel is turned so I'm assuming it's fubar.
Just as an aside is the battery bob-on?

When the Jizz had a flakey voltage regulator the airbag light used to come on now and then. It later developed into the EPAS light coming on with loss of assistance going into bends. So don't rule out the current draw of the steering upsetting the SRS.

It's probably the 'clock spring' though.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

SiC wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:42 pm AFAIK clock springs dont need coding (but then it's BMW). Usually there is a window in them with a indicator. They need fitting on straight with that indicator showing. Otherwise full lock can break them.

The steering angle sensor for the traction control may need recalibrating though.

Clearing the light, does it come back straight away? I.e. is the code present or just intermittent?
The light comes back on as soon as you turn the steering wheel.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Eddie Honda wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Split_Pin wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:58 pm The airbag light comes right backnon as soon as the steering wheel is turned so I'm assuming it's fubar.
Just as an aside is the battery bob-on?

When the Jizz had a flakey voltage regulator the airbag light used to come on now and then. It later developed into the EPAS light coming on with loss of assistance going into bends. So don't rule out the current draw of the steering upsetting the SRS.

It's probably the 'clock spring' though.
The battery is BMW branded so could be the original. I'll test it with my multimeter tomorrow!