Why Do You Drive That?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
PhilA

Re: Why Do You Drive That?

Post by PhilA »

Hooli wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:48 pm That is a damn good noise, for a modern.
The venerable Pentastar 3.6 V6 in the Jeep beside it there is significantly quieter than the noise from the tyres, unless you stamp on the pedal and wind it up. It has a nice note when under heavy load but it's not really audible in normal driving.

The Challenger actually hits the maximum Federal noise limit when you open it up, which is significantly louder than the EU regulation. It's brash and uncouth and I love it.

The Chieftain really needs a better quality silencer to get rid of the rasp but retain the engine note, it sounds a little bit too "rat rod with no silencers" as it is. You can hardly hear the exhaust from the driver's seat though, at idle all you can hear is the camshaft, fan and alternator. Putting your foot down through a tunnel you can really hear it though.

Horses for courses, really
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

I love shonky square old shitters for bargain prices, I really couldn't entertain spending £20k on a sensible modern daily when I could blow the same amount on 40 fucked old cars or bikes...
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

PhilA wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:06 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:48 pm That is a damn good noise, for a modern.
The venerable Pentastar 3.6 V6 in the Jeep beside it there is significantly quieter than the noise from the tyres, unless you stamp on the pedal and wind it up. It has a nice note when under heavy load but it's not really audible in normal driving.

The Challenger actually hits the maximum Federal noise limit when you open it up, which is significantly louder than the EU regulation. It's brash and uncouth and I love it.

The Chieftain really needs a better quality silencer to get rid of the rasp but retain the engine note, it sounds a little bit too "rat rod with no silencers" as it is. You can hardly hear the exhaust from the driver's seat though, at idle all you can hear is the camshaft, fan and alternator. Putting your foot down through a tunnel you can really hear it though.

Horses for courses, really
I wonder how my mates hellcat passed the iva?
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

RetroShite wrote:I love shonky square old shitters for bargain prices, I really couldn't entertain spending £20k on a sensible modern daily when I could blow the same amount on 40 fucked old cars or bikes...
Yes been there with the moderns it’s a hamster wheel of misery.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

paulplom wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:16 amI wonder how my mates hellcat passed the iva?
Probably by the tester deciding it would be rude to fail it.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Hahaha