Ford focus mk1

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Cruiser45

Re: Van updates.

Post by Cruiser45 »

Surely a folding ramp and propel itself in the back would be easier?
Park your ass in Fibreglass
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

A ramp would have probably cost more than this hoist was plus the ramp would have been purpose made for the van. The hoist can be fitted in many different vehicles as it can be adjusted in many ways. I paid 25 quid for the hoist and my friend fitted it for 20 quid. I'd have probably spent 30 quid on materials then trying to find someone to make it and find somewhere to attach it without it sliding,also if I had electrics failure while out in the scooter I'd have struggled to push nearly 100kg up a ramp into the van. With the hoist I can actually rotate the scooter through 90 degrees in the back of the van so it can go widthways behind the seats as well leaving plenty of storage space.
Cruiser45

Post by Cruiser45 »

Ok fair enough,just thinking my dad has a lightweight flat folding ramp that he uses to get bikes in the back of a van that just rests on the loadbay,but fair point about having duff electrics and not being able to move it anyway.
Park your ass in Fibreglass
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Cause Bub is #technotard, have a video.

[youtube][/youtube]
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Yes it's always a possibility in my mind. The ability to rotate it widthways was a welcome surprise too. I cam also use lift alone where as with a ramp I'd need some help to guide it. And thanks tinteweb dog for upload.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Since the video I've adjusted the height of the lift so it's just below rear roof lining to utilise height and lengthened the front jib. Still not happy with mounting points but the correct lifting bar is literally a length of box section that bolts under seat and being a "disability aid" it commands a premium. Over 45 quid.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

An old boy I know had one of these hoists fitted for his wife's scooter to save him mauling, it worked surprisingly well, took all the effort out and allowed them to still go out together, he was over 80 at the time.
Sounds like you had a proper bargain there and I can imagine it's less ball ache than any ramp tbh as like you say you can drop the scooter where you like in the vehicle.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Regarding hoist,scooter and van. Would anyone be interested in a thread start in the off topic section of my travels around Derbyshire and surrounding areas on my scooter? Mainly pictures and some history etc of where I go. Mainly old train lines and such like. The hoist means I can go out alone again without issues with mobility and if like to keep a journal of what I do and see. Im planning on starting a Facebook group or similar regarding accessibility routes too. Limited mobility but a love of the outdoors doesn't tend to go together. Thanks
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Go for it Bub, me and the missus get up thataway most summers and plan to again this August.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Give me a shout when you do. I'd gladly meet up to ramble over the disused rail lines.