Ford focus mk1

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Re: Ford focus mk1

Post by treehugger »

Poor workman blames his tools.
As I suspected I was right about everything.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Well within my rights too.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Having had lots of dealings with more modern fords,not just transits but MK2 onwards focus with the 136 2.0 tdci/hdi,Kuga diesel,later mondeos etc they all seem to have issues of some sort. A Kuga my friend swapped an engine in for a customer who lacks any mechanical sympathy and the cambelt snapped on it. He sourced a lower mileage engine of the same spec (140 bhp diesel) from another ford and fitted it for them. Within a few months it's having dpf issues and other electrical issues,the only part of that car that isn't original is the bare block. Injectors, ancillaries,wiring harness,turbo etc is all original with I think 95k on clock but no mechanical knowledge nor giving a shit about the car means it doesn't regen the dpf properly. Another customer has an s max with electrical issues and that's maintained meticulously and a galaxy that's also well maintained but shit loads of issues.
I was offered a 2009 ford Mondeo tdci a month ago by a customer of his. Needed an alternator and battery but the old boy was giving up driving and didn't want to spend on it. Said I could have it for 500 but I turned it down as again I wouldn't trust it as much being a modern ish diesel.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Our 2007 Diesel Galaxy was fine until the seams decided to let enough water in to have a paddling pool all across the cabin. That wrote it off at 35,000 miles or so as even after spending several k just on parts they wouldn't be able to warranty its roadworthiness.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Anything over the past 15 years or so are pretty much throwaway items when the bills start coming. First owner is fine due to warranty. Second owner may get a few small niggles and chops it in at the auction,third owner comes along and gets a 15 plate motor for 1500 quid is happy Larry until it goes tits up.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The hard part is knowing when to stop spending on it.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

paulplom wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:20 pm The hard part is knowing when to stop spending on it.
It's easy. You just keep spending through the trough in value.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:33 pm Having had lots of dealings with more modern fords,not just transits but MK2 onwards focus with the 136 2.0 tdci/hdi,Kuga diesel,later mondeos etc they all seem to have issues of some sort. A Kuga my friend swapped an engine in for a customer who lacks any mechanical sympathy and the cambelt snapped on it. He sourced a lower mileage engine of the same spec (140 bhp diesel) from another ford and fitted it for them. Within a few months it's having dpf issues and other electrical issues,the only part of that car that isn't original is the bare block. Injectors, ancillaries,wiring harness,turbo etc is all original with I think 95k on clock but no mechanical knowledge nor giving a shit about the car means it doesn't regen the dpf properly. Another customer has an s max with electrical issues and that's maintained meticulously and a galaxy that's also well maintained but shit loads of issues.
I was offered a 2009 ford Mondeo tdci a month ago by a customer of his. Needed an alternator and battery but the old boy was giving up driving and didn't want to spend on it. Said I could have it for 500 but I turned it down as again I wouldn't trust it as much being a modern ish diesel.
See also:

Every other modern diesel.

A 2009 Mondeo will be borderline scrap. It'll be as rusty as an old horseshoe underneath and, like every other bastarding Mondeo, they are an absolute CUNT to work on.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:32 pm
bub2006 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:33 pm Having had lots of dealings with more modern fords,not just transits but MK2 onwards focus with the 136 2.0 tdci/hdi,Kuga diesel,later mondeos etc they all seem to have issues of some sort. A Kuga my friend swapped an engine in for a customer who lacks any mechanical sympathy and the cambelt snapped on it. He sourced a lower mileage engine of the same spec (140 bhp diesel) from another ford and fitted it for them. Within a few months it's having dpf issues and other electrical issues,the only part of that car that isn't original is the bare block. Injectors, ancillaries,wiring harness,turbo etc is all original with I think 95k on clock but no mechanical knowledge nor giving a shit about the car means it doesn't regen the dpf properly. Another customer has an s max with electrical issues and that's maintained meticulously and a galaxy that's also well maintained but shit loads of issues.
See also:

Every other modern diesel.

A 2009 Mondeo will be borderline scrap. It'll be as rusty as an old horseshoe underneath and, like every other bastarding Mondeo, they are an absolute CUNT to work on.
I agree. Alot of modern diesels are a throwaway item now. Regards mondeos,I remember my x plate being a cunt of a job to do alternator on. The one I've got now I've no idea how bad it is to work on,engine bay looks alright compared to a diesel of same age and seems bigger than its predecessor.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I know two colleagues with modern Fords and ABS pump issues. One (2010) got a scrap part and had it replaced. Another with a 2015 had the dealer replace it. They screwed up the software update when coding the new pump and bricked the car. Ended up getting a Ford HQ bod in to sort the mess.