The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by DodgeRover »

Hi Jo, was only wondering what had happened to you the other day!
Nothing daft like over wife tires or incorrect pressures is it?
How does it done exactly?
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I never got on with the Tradesman I had in Canada. Just would not drive in a straight line - I'll wager it was fucked but I've driven lots of fucked things and this was bad. Econoline and GM vans I've driven weren't like that.....

Anyway, as said nice to hear from Jo and sorry it didn't work out for you. Look forward to moar Yanking.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Thanks Guys I have written a little more in the thread I started when Sam was ill to explain how I am :roll:
I am getting there ;)

Back to the Van everything checks out its just not for me as Rocker said they are a bit of a handful its like the steering wheel has no relationship to what going on at the wheels :roll:

I see Yanks and Classics as something to de stress but he is so much of a handful when I go out for a drive my body is so tense when i get back,every turn,every corner you take if its over 40 mph its a bit hairy :shock:

Ive tried loading it up with junk it helps a bit but yeh not going there again.

My theory is there is a mathematical equation that just doesn't add up

Over Large Steering Wheel + Power Steering - No Aerodynamics whatsoever x Much Torque ÷ Steering Box Pitman Arm of much slopness from new = Fairground Ride of fear you want to get off :lol:

Does that sound Right Mr Rocker :?:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Sounds just like the one I drove - it wasn't a short trip either - 500 miles. Like I said, I've driven stuff that shouldn't be on the road (including crashed stuff that I couldn't afford to have recovered) and that Dodge was just living up to its name - from one side of the lane to the other. I did piss about with tyre pressures and drove it equally loaded/empty - no difference other than it was even scarier with factory air pressures in the front tyres.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Great to see you back on Jo.

I know what you mean about not getting on with something, even when you really, really, really want to.
Mine was a 356 speedster replica on a VW floorpan. Would wander everywhere and every trip in it was a sweat inducing struggle. Even with new steering box, the alignment as good as it could be, there was always too much play in the front end of my liking. Too light at the front too.

I kidded myself and bought a 356 coupe replica after that (cos it was going to be different right…) and had exactly the same issue. Even with a bag of cement in the front, it was still ponderous.

What do you have your eye on to replace it with?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

panhard65 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:23 pm Nice to hear from you again Jo, shame you can't get along with the van. I had the same thing with the Corvette, after always wanting one I really just could not get on with it. The trouble is you have to try your hero's or you will never know. At least it lives on and someone else will surely love it even with it's idiosyncrasies, what's next ? nice little '53 Buick ? I can help there.
Its not Merican :shock:

I can confirm though I was soo close to buying a Pinto Wagon last year :o

I will still keep the Mustang as we have been through so much together,Last year I was considering selling Shitey you know that old chestnut "The Grass is Always Greener?" But on learning Mopar Scene Tax is "How Fucking Much!" i decided to stick with Ford and keep the Shitestang :mrgreen:

Another realisation came with some of the missing bits you can even buy pattern parts for any more
Wiper Switch £75 used :shock:
Replacement Grill "better condition yet still used) £250 yes that was cheap too :?
Replacement quarter light £ 150

In comparison I broke three different cars that were going to be cubed in 2020-2021 total cost for 4 jam packed car loads of rare and mint Mustang II bits £400

I rest my case ;)
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Broccoli wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:15 pm Great to see you back on Jo.

I know what you mean about not getting on with something, even when you really, really, really want to.
Mine was a 356 speedster replica on a VW floorpan. Would wander everywhere and every trip in it was a sweat inducing struggle. Even with new steering box, the alignment as good as it could be, there was always too much play in the front end of my liking. Too light at the front too.

I kidded myself and bought a 356 coupe replica after that (cos it was going to be different right…) and had exactly the same issue. Even with a bag of cement in the front, it was still ponderous.

What do you have your eye on to replace it with?
Yes I am steering clear (no pun intended) of steering boxes now i like feeling in my steering.cant say what's next yet where would the fun be in that?

Ironically the next one does have a steering box but there are rack and pinion options that can be made to fit ;)

The problem I have it finding the right car? I could just about afford a done and dusted finished car but it wouldn't be what i want.

Likewise I don't want something that's a full on project because i want a specific colour and im not afraid to colour change whereas an original one owner or restored example and you feel bad about not keeping it original.

so i kind of want an in-betweenie the brief is do a recommission that has the sprit of how we used to do things when the classics were just bangers.oil rag if you like?

So its more a case of one day the right car will turn up until then i cant just do it,the example of car has the be right for all the fun planets to align ;)

Watch This Space
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Do you think the van steering is over assisted which makes it feel funny on the road?
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

DodgeRover wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:58 pm Do you think the van steering is over assisted which makes it feel funny on the road?
I think having a huge steering wheel plus power steering is no help at all really but there's just to many negatives for me now. Don't get my wrong its a great van but its just not for me :|

It got me through a dark time but also represents that dark time :cry:

If I ever got another Van it would probably be Front Wheel Drive with a Rack now but at the moment I just dont want a Van.

Ive changed so much in these past two years i think we all have and it changes the way you see things,it doesnt work for me so its got to go :roll:
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

This is probably bollocks, as you know my mechanical knowledge could be written on a postage stamp, but it reminds me a lot of when the ball joints were replaced on my T2.
It was scary and had a mind of its own. I was told that it'd take a few hundred miles for them to bed in or whatever and after that time it was like a completely different vehicle. Is there something about a steering box that exacerbates this effect?

We probably need a stupid comments thread for some of my posts.