What Car?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: What Car?

Post by mercrocker »

Drum wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:33 pm My only input here on the basis of having two alfas, a fiat and two VWs over the last few years would be to avoid fiat/Alfa and VW.
Yeah, I kind of mentally registered that reading your threads! You seem to get on top of them, though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Toyota Auris

Really, really boring and dull but also boringly reliable.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 pm I am happy(ish) to keep the Focus but not if it is going to throw up a handful of error codes every few months.
If its running ok, you probably could ignore the warning light...

Half the motoring population seems to.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yeah its a very difficult algorithm.....Focus was bought as a boring reliable and economical domestic appliance for the Missus after the 190E became a little unpredictable. It obviously isn't boringly dull enough to be boringly reliable, although maybe I am over-reacting. Whatever, it has highlighted that I have a potentially needy car that I don''t really enjoy very much and which potentially has similar problems to the dearly departed Merc.

I'd take boringly reliable if it was a given and it does seem that fodder such as Honda, Toyota and co. might well do the job and conserve funds for decrepit BMC propping-uppage.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

SiC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 pm
mercrocker wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:49 pm I am happy(ish) to keep the Focus but not if it is going to throw up a handful of error codes every few months.

Daughter being one....Ran a Mk5 Golf on the yellow as she reminded me yesterday. "Oh, really? You mean the Golf you had to throw away on a scrappage deal....?" Now she's tucked up with a gopping Mokka as penance.

I'm glad I got it investigated though - mechanic texted me earlier to say it was running lean due to a split inlet tube and a swirl flap problem. Both now sorted but the point is it would only have gone one way had I ignored it. In common with most moderns, the Duratec eats itself on lean running. I suppose I should grudgingly admit the warning light did its job....
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

That's good indeed, although quite funny to think the check engine light is held in such contempt these days it's genuine purpose is forgotten. I suppose it's just alerting you to the fault instead of say an old Marina where you could run around with a broken carb distance piece for ages without necessarily knowing.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yeah, exactly....although a burnt-out valve on a B Series is considerably less of a problem for me than irreparable engine damage on a modern. If this episode is a case of fair warning then I'll be happier. What I fear is the unending loop of warning lights, codes and limp-homes that some folk seem to get from their modern stuff. Still don't like the bugger, either.....
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

How about on of those Toyota / Lexus LS400s?

A friend in Wales inherited one and did all he could to kill it, so his Mrs would let him buy a different car. Despite his best efforts, the damn thing was nearly indestructible (nearly).
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:11 pm As your old 190e did do well, what about a C Class ? There’s one on Retrorides at the moment that I tried to buy a couple of months ago off Tetleysmooth on the Beige. Although it was £550 then not the £750 it is now.
To rollout the cliche’s , they’re almost built of granite substitute, last of the almost proper Mercs, etc.
He's smartened it up but there's rust a-plenty on that one.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

SiC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:02 pm

Every Taxi I've ever been in.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)