What Car?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: What Car?

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Vim. If we'd all used that, there'd be no Kung Flu.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

cros wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:47 pm
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:48 pm I took one of those E-klasses in part-ex around a decade ago and had to scrap it as the front suspension rotted out. Absolute shite. Early ones also stunk of fish due to a type of plastic they used in the heater pipe ducts.
I had a 100e that did that, scrubbing the passenger seat with Vim sorted it.
:q!

(Not sure who will get that on here)
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Linux head me.

VIM editor command to quit without writing.

Magic Eraser (JML) cleans grubby seats up well.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Do you know what......I think I would actually be better off with a 100E....No, make that a 107E. Fucking weirdo side-valves, worse than canbus.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

This recently got flagged as a good deal for a ‘Q’ car on PisonHeads (I get an email from them every now and again).
https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/11047108
That said, I know zero about Ovlovs after the 700 series came out.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Is the v8 in them a ford job or bought in?

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Back to wiring and excess electronics I suppose it is more down to crap quality rather than the idea. Having worked on cars since the mid 80's you never used to find ecu's filling up with oil because of poor seals allowing it to flow along cables under the insulation. I forget which model Mercedes that was but the gearbox ecu mounted on the bulkhead shorted out due to being filled with transmission oil. Did it need a computer controlled gearbox ? We get more and more weird electronic faults now as they put more and more unnecessary stuff on cars. Diagnostics can only go so far. The Renault Trafic loom is a case in point there were no faults showing on the ecu and live data was fine most of the time until you move the loom. The engine loom starts off around 2 inches thick as it has so much to do collecting information from all the sensors. Go back 30 years and your diesel engine had about 4 wires running to it and worked perfectly well. I suppose it is my age and just getting fed up with modern cars, my other halfs lad has just bought a KIa Pro Ceed for 13k. On paper it should of been a great car, one owner 25k miles and 3 years old. Always dealer serviced and traded in at 3 years as that is what the owner does. It travels on a truck from Gateshead down to Weston and now has a full house of warning lights. I plugged into it and although my diagnostics will normally talk to these no chance on this one. It has all the warning lights come on after running for 30 seconds. We are talking engine management that puts it in limp mode, esp, abs, electric power steering, tyre inflation, air bag. The only warning lights not on are oil and battery charge. The speedo and rev counter have also stopped working. As it is still under KIa warranty it went into Kia Bristol yesterday, the look on the service managers face said it all when we gave them the list of faults. I just hope the dealer level diagnostics will get into it otherwise where do you start. I would of said an ignition switch type fault but it is keyless with a start button not easy to check. Is all this extra electrical shit a good idea ? Is it making cars better and safer ? I have my doubts as it just dumbs down the driver. I should really of put this in the grumpy thread as modern cars just make me grumpy with all the extra shit on them to go wrong.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I see all the annoying adverts for some Kia, Renault Crapture etc, all being driven along some landscape by a happy couple yada yada. It’s all junk. Even the once great marques like BMW, Mercedes etc started turning out soulless crap and became ‘brands’. A brand is all they are. The only difference between an A Class Merc and an Astra is the badge and £5000. Suckers.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Bangernomics wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:20 am Is the v8 in them a ford job or bought in?

Less annoying tag line.
Isn't that the ones that Volvo got Yamaha to develop for them?
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

SiC wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:55 pm A Volvo loving friend always tells me that the letter-number Volvos suffer from being under FoMoCo ownership. I always feel the only reason Volvos last so long is the same reason many Saabs do, they get the type of demographic and get under their owners skin, so owners are prepared to keep throwing money at them. Not necessarily because they're reliable but because they keep a car a long time and they like their particular car.
Volvos largely improved under FOMOCO. Unlike Scaab who repurposed a Cavalier/Vectra, the S60 was a proper car. The build quality is much better than a contemporary BMW or Mercedes. I mean LOADS better. Like previous Volvos the quality is where you can’t see it. A shell that doesn’t rot and an engine that will do 250,000 miles.