Brand New Car

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Brand New Car

Post by paulplom »

I have had new vans through employers. I got a new Xreg vito which had a row of seats in the middle.
I did 55k in the first year without a service. I had to do a van sheet every Monday and every week it would just get ignored.
We had a fleet of astra vans at the time too. I got a Vreg new one and had the record for the top speed out of one. 118mph on a long, sweeping, downhill part of the A66.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

I'm too tight to buy something that will depreciate so much as soon as it comes out of the showroom. I used to usually buy cars at 2 or 3 years old and run them into the ground. The most I've ever spent on a car was £10k on a 2002 V70 T5 in 2005, that was a great car!
I half heartedly toyed with getting a Mk4 Focus ST as I still haven't used any of my retirement lump sum, but in the end decided my C30 looks nicer, doesn't have a touchscreen and I could probably get the same power with a remap and a few bits. On top of that it would sound better without any synthesized sounds through the cabin as it has five cylinders.
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

Don't see me ever buying new, I don't do enough miles to justify a big outlay like that. Do about 3k a year, wife is the same. If either of us suddenly had a big commute I'd probably lease a new Dacia or something. For now a couple of old, but nice Saabs will do.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I had a new Ka in 1999. It was a £1000 gripper and £127 a month and when I was charging 40p/mile it made sense. I replaced it after 2 years with a 12 month old 320d Touring.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

My first car was my first and only brand new car I've had.

I find depreciation too off putting to consider something brand new now.

If our main driver (A4) pops it's clogs I may seriously consider brand new as the lease deals are (or were) similar to buying a 6 year old car, keeping for 4 years and hoping nothing breaks. But then that cost is a kicker again and we'd probably get a Civic to keep for a long time.

The problem is the alternatives are much more attractive. Why get a £38k BMW 3-series on tick when you could get a £38k Aston Martin V8 Vantage/Porsche 911, not loose any depreciation and have far more fun
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

SiC wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:02 pm

Why get a £38k BMW 3-series on tick when you could get a £38k Aston Martin V8 Vantage/Porsche 911, not loose any depreciation and have far more fun
WCPGW?
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I was having a conversation with the builder the other day. He said he was thinking of getting the bounce back loan to buy a new car.
I asked what was the point, what's wrong with the six year old audi he already has? His lass is a headmistress and lives walking distance of her school and his van is practically new with two seat in the back. He couldn't really say other than it would feel good and nice to behind the wheel. He couldn't understand why I said I wouldn't bother.
It just doesn't appeal to me at all.
I'm not even sure I'd buy one even if I won the lottery. Maybe as above an older aston or 911. I get satisfaction from running an older car for practically nowt. And I love tinkering/improving them.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Then there's the terror of it getting scratched or damaged while on the street or car park. There's some awfully expensive cars around me just left outside on the road. There's a brand new rangerover round the corner. Fuck that.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

paulplom wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:02 pm Then there's the terror of it getting scratched or damaged while on the street or car park. There's some awfully expensive cars around me just left outside on the road. There's a brand new rangerover round the corner. Fuck that.
I feel like that about any car I own, no matter how shit it is...

So someone opens their door onto my car and says doesn't matter it's an old peice of crap. The thing is it's MY old peice of crap!
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I do spend quite a bit on cars but a new modern would never happen. All my moderns are sub £1000 shitters that if they go terminal they get fragged. If I want to ride around anywhere in a nice car that is what the Bentley is for, all the modern crap is just a tool to do a job. I just priced up the Corvette and once it has landed that will owe me the best part of 7.5k but at least it won't lose me much money unlike spending that sort of money on a modern.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter