The Crappy Hamper Thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: The Crappy Hamper Thread

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 pm I've never had a camper of any sort, no ever gone in a camper either. I also hate mobile home things you see about with a passion. Find them ungainly enorumous and utterly pointless things.

I've slept in a tent a number of times. Don't particularly like it much but my missus does.

However I quite fancy something like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1977-Volkswa ... 3885156700

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970-Volkswa ... 3886320914

Just happened to be ones close to me when doing a quick search. Both way more than I'd want to pay though.

I'd also be quite happy not to convert them into campers. More of a day van, that I can sit in eating my sandwiches while watching the world go by for an hour. So basically like the above but with better seats to sit in the back with a table - because I'm a messy bugger and get crumbs all down me otherwise.

I also don't like tea, so I don't even need a hob. But the missus does, so maybe a kettle. Maybe a fridge so I can have a nice cool Apple Juice or something.

If stopping somewhere it'd be a hotel. Maybe we'd keep a popup tent in the boot to pull out for a night stop. But then I'd be a grumpy shit for the rest of the day as I'd have been woken up early, tired, with my back killing me.

Basically living the dream.
The Splitty is either Brazilian or Mexican, probably the former.

The Late Bay is said to be Brazilian. These were imported new up to a few years ago and the general view was that rust would come through within four or five years.

If at some stage you do want to look for one try Thelatebay.com.
There's lots of good advice and decent buses crop up reasonably often.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

I was about to post up my hammer photos then figured out what the title of the thread actually said.

Have a Bedford CF that I bought from Dunblane HS for £300 when they decided it had reached retirement.
I used to run the school chess club all over Central Scotland in it so was well aware of how shit it was.

The gf (now wife) made curtains for it and I got busy with some mdf. I'll try and find some interior shots.
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG (144.48 KiB) Viewed 2617 times
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:33 pm Thinking about it, left hand drive is probably a plus point, as I'd likely be humming around the continent in it just as much in the UK.

Even more reason to stop in a hotel as I'd need the aircon room to cool back off.

What are they like price wise in America? Surely the things are still plentiful over there being both imports from Europe and Brazil.
There's a lot less people importing from the States now although the guy I used to get panels from, near Norwich, is still doing a few.
I think a lot came over here or went to Europe, one guy locally goes to Oz every year, or at least he did last time I dealt with him a couple of years or so ago. They're RHD but for example are the only ones with wipers set up for it so you have parts issues.
My main contact, John, has effectively left the scene as it's so difficult to get buses or bits. He's based in Texas.
Panhard might have a better idea than me as he's an import regular.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:39 pm If at some stage you do want to look for one try Thelatebay.com.
Useful to know. Had a quick gander and not too many adverts. But like many forums, they are a bit more realistically priced (generally).

This is the kinda project I'd like to get my teeth stuck into:
https://thelatebay.com/index.php?thread ... rhd.89922/

I've seen more complex structures on the bottom of a supermarket trolley.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think that Barefoot on the beige is on the staff of a VW magazine so he'll have a lot better idea than me about them.
I think he joined here but I haven't seen anything for a while.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

SiC wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:39 pm If at some stage you do want to look for one try Thelatebay.com.
Useful to know. Had a quick gander and not too many adverts. But like many forums, they are a bit more realistically priced (generally).

This is the kinda project I'd like to get my teeth stuck into:
https://thelatebay.com/index.php?thread ... rhd.89922/

I've seen more complex structures on the bottom of a supermarket trolley.
My advice is to check the availability of panels and specific parts for the one you're looking at. FI stuff is usually a nightmare, exacerbated by Californian specific manifolds etc..
Lots of parts haven't been made for years and rust free panels from the states rust in the seams after a couple of years or so in the UK.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

FI? ...Forced induction? 🤨
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Fuel Injection, used for the last couple of years or so.
I seem to remember there was a 49 states version and also a Californian one.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I guess the usual K-Jetronic mess.

Presumably despite that, the engines are easy enough to swap out. Possible to easily convert back to carbs?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Going the price of them in the states, I think they're better value over here. Especially crusty rusty ones.