Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by Drum »

I remember driving home from Stirling one weekend in my '81 polo. As I was passing through Perth, this horrible smell drifted into the car. On popping the bonnet, I found the battery had taken on the shape of a football. It looked like it was about to explode and was clearly getting a wee bit too much electricity. I probably should have unplugged something on the alternator but instead decided to continue my journey with lights blazing, rear demist on and anything else that I could find to use up those extra electrons.
You'll be glad to know it didn't explode, but it does go to show that alternators can go bad too.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Yeap alternators can be a right pig I had to do one on a fiesta 1.0 turbo. What a fucking job that was !
IMG_7239.JPG
IMG_7239.JPG (522.3 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

That is why I despise modern cars. The fucking aggro I’m having with a 10 year old Saab atm. Thankfully it’s not mine.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Fuck putting that shit back together......Couple of Bates headlamps screwed to the inner wings, job done.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Agreed.
The alternator on my allegro can be changed in the car park of an autojumble in 10 minutes with no more than a spanner.
Progress?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Reminds me of the evil ex's Festering 1.25, first thing to do when taking the head off - remove front bumper ffs.
Private signature, do not read
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

fried onions wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:51 pm Electric regulator now ordered, which will be a nice little indoor evening job. The idea is to gut one of the dodgy RB. 310 models and fit the new one inside the case, so it looks the same. The vehicle wiring will be unchanged as the terminals are still used. For £80 posted it is much cheaper and easier than an alternator and will bring some welcome consistency to the charging rate.
I had a Dynamo Regulators ltd regulator on my Austin Loadstar. Despite seeming like a good company I've heard of a few failures of these so was careful to mount the device carefully (as you would a beautiful woman) and it performed very well for a year until I fitted a diesel with alternator. I understand these regulators give the dynamo an easier time too.
However mine then went onto a friend's Talbot and only lasted a few miles. I see the regulator is now offered by another company (http://www.electrodynamicsolutions.com/) but the link wouldn't work when I tried it just now.
What's the engine next to the A series?
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Thanks for the testimonial. To be fair to the chap he did say a few come back to him but when he gets to the bottom of it finds a lot have been fitted incorrectly or there is some other non-standard part of the charging system which ends up frying them. He said he uses only British components, no cheapo stuff, and has them on his own cars (this is the electrodynamic chap who now makes them). So I am looking forward to getting it up and running as there isn't really a viable alternative. Anyway, he was very helpful to me on the phone.

That big lump of iron is a 2267cc Humber Hawk, 4 cylinders packing about 78 bhp. It came from my mate's scrapper and will be going into his 'Mark VII' project.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

fried onions wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:36 pm Thanks for the testimonial. To be fair to the chap he did say a few come back to him but when he gets to the bottom of it finds a lot have been fitted incorrectly or there is some other non-standard part of the charging system which ends up frying them. He said he uses only British components, no cheapo stuff, and has them on his own cars (this is the electrodynamic chap who now makes them). So I am looking forward to getting it up and running as there isn't really a viable alternative. Anyway, he was very helpful to me on the phone.

That big lump of iron is a 2267cc Humber Hawk, 4 cylinders packing about 78 bhp. It came from my mate's scrapper and will be going into his 'Mark VII' project.
They are a big lump, should have recognised it as I had a relative of it in my Sunbeam 90.
Good luck with the regulator, as you say plenty of scope for cooking them if wrongly wired up.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Interesting you mention Sunbeam, matey is hoping to get hold of one of those diffs (3.9?) to replace the Humber 4.5 one. That combined with the overdrive should make for a serious long-distance car, which is his intention.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.