Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by paulplom »

My mate with the plug in hybrid volvo jeep gave me a lift to spoons in it last night. I noticed on the readout it was showing an average of 31mpg. How is that better for the environment? I presume a diesel equivilent would be almost double that. It's a two litre petrol and it does go like fuck though.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

bub2006 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:29 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:22 pm Toyota are certainly in the game:

Toyota have been for a few years I think.
Driving a hydrogen powered car does have its drawbacks....

LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

An interesting article about obsolescence, it's partly behind a pay wall but I think this gives a good idea:

"At a certain point, your smartphone may no longer accept the latest software update from Apple or Google. Your laptop could get so cranky after four or five years that it is easier to replace it with a new one than spend hours staring at the blue screen of death. Even your toaster or your iron is not going to run forever. We are all used to the idea of built-in-obsolescence. Even so, the news that it can now extend to our cars, with Nissan switching off software for older models, is alarming – and will make selling more battery-powered vehicles even harder.

The Nissan Leaf was one of the pioneers of electric vehicles (EV) in the UK, selling thousands to early adopters. And yet, this week the company has been accused of ‘dumping its pioneers’ after it emerged that the app that offers functions such as remote control of the heating will soon stop working for older cars. The car can still be driven and the heating and charging timers can still be operated from within the car. But the UK’s 2G network is set to be switched off, and so Nissan has decided this means the app will no longer be available for cars sold before 2016. If you happen to have a vehicle that is more than eight years old, that is just bad luck. There is no point trying to sell it now because the price will already have plummeted.

Software expiring in our phones and laptops, and increasingly in many other everyday devices as well, is something we have come to expect. A car, however, is of a different order of magnitude.

Firstly, they are much more expensive to replace.......

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/nis ... dfabd3e937
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:52 pm But the UK’s 2G network is set to be switched off, and so Nissan has decided this means the app will no longer be available for cars sold before 2016.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/nis ... dfabd3e937
The article I read said the switch off isn't actually happening yet tho so people were miffed at their actions.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

It's a bit confused but:

"Around 3,000 Nissan Leaf and e-NV200 cars made before 2016 are affected by the withdrawal of the NissanConnect EV application, as these older vehicles are fitted with 2G control units which communicate with the app.

The carmaker told the BBC: “The NissanConnect EV app currently linked to Nissan Leaf and e-NV200 vehicles produced up until 2016 will shut down from 1 April 2024 in preparation of the 2G technology sunset.”"

https://techinformed.com/nissan-halts-2 ... witch-off/
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I have three perfectly working tablets, that are useless because they are no longer being updated by Samsung. Can't even get YouTube on them now.

I read on some computer help site that tablets now have reduced updates/support after 3 years, after which you might as well buy a new one.

I see the GBOL have Android 13 tablets at less than €100 delivered. Fuck paying €1200 for a Samsung when all I want to use them for is downloading films to watch when there is no WiFi
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:51 pm I have three perfectly working tablets, that are useless because they are no longer being updated by Samsung. Can't even get YouTube on them now.

I read on some computer help site that tablets now have reduced updates/support after 3 years, after which you might as well buy a new one.

I see the GBOL have Android 13 tablets at less than €100 delivered. Fuck paying €1200 for a Samsung when all I want to use them for is downloading films to watch when there is no WiFi
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-li ... ilbreaking)%20or%20not.

Maybe an option depending on the tablet? If it's unusable you've got nothing to lose really apart from your time fucking around.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Cheers, but can't be arsed with that, mainly because I'm a technocripple.
Found a Doogee 10.1 inch tablet for under €70 with 128gb storage and 9 gb RAM. My £400 (?) Samsung has (had) 4gb RAM and 16gb storage.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

It seems others aren't convinced Musk is the eco warrior he thinks he is.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Dodge are trying to sell Petrolheads a battery car