Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm
Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:03 am Maybe they'll realise windows you can see out of are more important than pillars so strong you can pile trucks on roof too. But somehow I doubt they'll ever get that sensible.
Even my 10 plate V50 was terrible for that, the blind spot at the A post could literally lose pedestrians and the B post meant checking over your shoulder for cars/bikes in your blind spot was physically impossible.

Having always driven old shit and even a kit car for years with a ribbon of aluminium around the windscreen the difference was blindingly obvious.
Too much passive safety so you can survive the crash, not enough real safety so you can avoid the crash to start with.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Somebody's having problems with their MGB:

"Hi does anyone know the locations of relay box for indicators, brake lights, as mine are not working thanks"

"No relay box dude. Series of bullet connectors in various places. Wiggle some wires. If they did work it's probably just a dirty connection somewhere."

Things were a lot simpler then, even I managed to rewire a lot of mine.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Maybe one of the fuses hone if they have both stopped working at the same time, I'm assuming they are an ignition controlled live?
Bur yes spent many hours cleaning green bullet connectors and trying to do the same to the female half with a bit of emery wrapped round a screwdriver blade.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm
Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:03 am Maybe they'll realise windows you can see out of are more important than pillars so strong you can pile trucks on roof too. But somehow I doubt they'll ever get that sensible.
Even my 10 plate V50 was terrible for that, the blind spot at the A post could literally lose pedestrians and the B post meant checking over your shoulder for cars/bikes in your blind spot was physically impossible.

Having always driven old shit and even a kit car for years with a ribbon of aluminium around the windscreen the difference was blindingly obvious.
Too much passive safety so you can survive the crash, not enough real safety so you can avoid the crash to start with.
Indeed.

It's funny posting on that thread on AS, I thought it was a discussion forum but if you post something that goes against the grain it falls on deaf ears.

Battery recycling, who's doing it? How are they going to do it? Different chemistry's? It should be foremost before a battery pack is even designed if they are the solution surely? Energy to make it, it's longevity, it's secondary use, fixability if a bank goes down.

All about economics, nothing to do with saving the planet from the cancer we are on it.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

It's like a fair few other threads, if it's not ignored you get a few disciples piling onto you.

There's about as much open discussion as in Stalin's Russia or Mao's China.
The rigidity of their thinking is unbelievable.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

This is the reason I fucked the place off. You'd be shot to pieces for daring to have a different opinion.
Bullying tbf. Ironic.
fraser

Post by fraser »

Scruffy Bodger wrote:
Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:44 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:38 pm Even my 10 plate V50 was terrible for that, the blind spot at the A post could literally lose pedestrians and the B post meant checking over your shoulder for cars/bikes in your blind spot was physically impossible.

Indeed.

It's funny posting on that thread on AS, I thought it was a discussion forum but if you post something that goes against the grain it falls on deaf ears.

Battery recycling, who's doing it? How are they going to do it? Different chemistry's? It should be foremost before a battery pack is even designed if they are the solution surely? Energy to make it, it's longevity, it's secondary use, fixability if a bank goes down.

All about economics, nothing to do with saving the planet from the cancer we are on it.
When I worked for the MOD, they had a thing called the procurement cycle. It went something like this -
Requirement for an item
Feasibility study
Tender
Purchase
Use
Disposal.

So they had everything mapped out for the whole life of the item, whether it's a gun or a tank.

They fucked up with nuclear submarines though.
The disposal was a tough one, so it just said - technology will have advanced to provide a solution for the problem. That worked out well!

The attached screenshot shows the subs waiting for disposal at rosyth dockyard. I believe there are similar number at davenport.

I believe the first one will be finished in 5 years.
Also by navy rules, each one of those subs have a captain and a nuclear engineer assigned to them.
Screenshot_20240317_072149.jpg
Screenshot_20240317_072149.jpg (60.99 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Self igniting electric bicycles and scooters....
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

More smoke than from the coal power stations charging them.
Private signature, do not read
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

It's a YouTube channel that exposes that Chinese EV's for what they are.