Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:36 am I wasn't certain where to put this but here seems as good as anywhere:

Physical buttons outperform touchscreens in new cars, test finds

https://www.vibilagare.se/english/physi ... test-finds
I posted this a while back

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... urt/199594

He was charged under the same law governing mobile phone use while driving, which also refers to touchscreens and says they must only be used with a brief glance while driving, with the driver having to allow for weather, visibility, plus traffic and road conditions.

The driver appealed to a higher regional court, arguing that adjusting the wipers was a safety matter. However, the court disagreed, saying it didn’t matter why he had been looking at the touchscreen while he was driving.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

I am readily allergic to the phrase "Sensible Choice" and this phrase immediately leaps out when you come straight out with the ppm.

Suddenly its like choosing a laser printer or a pair of handcrafted brogues, these will be ideal, not fun but suited for a bit of walking about.

If I could justify a Dodge Hellcat RedHaze for a once a month commute, mostly sideways like my trousers are on fire, that would be fun.
I have been to Cambridge once, took many hours to get there but in a ZS180 not very long to get back, step away while you still can.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

As I suspected I was right about everything.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I fear that Jaguar has bet everything on EVs.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Yep, but as I understand it they plan on relatively small volumes in a market that isn't very price sensitive. A lot of the parts will also be shared with the LR EVs so they'll get economies of scale.

I reckon that if they can produce cars that people desire, like the E Type once was, they'll be coining it in.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:02 pm Yep, but as I understand it they plan on relatively small volumes in a market that isn't very price sensitive. A lot of the parts will also be shared with the LR EVs so they'll get economies of scale.

I reckon that if they can produce cars that people desire, like the E Type once was, they'll be coining it in.
Do you really think that's likely though?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd say that business model won't work as electric crap will never appeal to people with brains, but then I look at society...
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I really don't know.

Given how successful Rangies are and the very high prices they command it'll depend on whether that pompous prick McGovern can imbue Jags with the same sort of desirability. That also assumes that they are given all the resources they need and a realistic long term business plan that's more in terms of decades than years.

If Jaguar produced and publicised separate accounts I'd expect massive losses for the first few years, propped up by RR cash flows. TATA will need to keep their nerve.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Hooli wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:15 pm I'd say that business model won't work as electric crap will never appeal to people with brains, but then I look at society...
JLR just wants to appeal to people with money.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

LynehamHerc wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:18 pm I really don't know.

Given how successful Rangies are and the very high prices they command it'll depend on whether that pompous prick McGovern can imbue Jags with the same sort of desirability. That also assumes that they are given all the resources they need and a realistic long term business plan that's more in terms of decades than years.

If Jaguar produced and publicised separate accounts I'd expect massive losses for the first few years, propped up by RR cash flows. TATA will need to keep their nerve.
The only way for Jaguar to turn a profit is for them to coax Egan out of retirement.