Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fraser

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by fraser »

Hooli wrote:
Guest wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am I do have three other cars if I want to go anywhere out of town.
That's why they'll always be a failure to me. They can't replace proper cars, only be used alongside them.
Agreed.
I want to get in my car in Herefordshire. Spend 10 mins tanking up and getting a meal deal from Tesco, then driving up to Edinburgh without stopping.
I know that even if I thrash the absolute bollocks off the car, or get stuck in a traffic jam for hours, I can still drive around for at least 100 miles in Edinburgh after a 370 mile journey.
On the way back after Christmas, there were stories of Tesla's waiting for over 4 hours at teabay services, just to get onto a charger, then another 40 mins to charge. It took me just over 5 hours to complete my whole 370 mile journey that day. That included my Tesco fuel and meal deal stop as well!

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

Guest wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
JimH wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:52 am Thick people who have great difficulty in imagining any situation other than their own.
That will be me then.
I have this
20230204_122231.jpg
I can go back and forth to the office and to the shops. No I didn't need it and I haven't bought it, I have it for two years at a cost of less than £40 per month, I can charge it at work.

I do have three other cars if I want to go anywhere out of town.
The Ami looks an excellent choice if you commute in town; it may well be second cheapest to a bicycle. £20 a month is a steal, 300 quid a month for car that manages to be uglier is just daft.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I hate electric cars but can see a place for the little Ami. It is small and doesn't really try to be anything more than just a potter around the town mobility scooter. The rest can just fuck off the hopeless piles of shite. I have one bloke who was in the trade comes round reguarly to bore me to death about how wonderful and cheap his electric MG is. I don't care if it is cheap to run I know it can never replace a proper ICE. In the last few years I have twice been in main dealers collecting parts and overheard a customer complaing about shit range. The best one was a woman in Vauxhall who had been given one as a courtesy car. She had it a day and in the morning before she did the school run (1 1/2 miles) the range was over 100 miles. She was now back at the dealer as it was about to run out with a sub 10 mile range. Apparently it is quite normal if you use the lights, wipers, heater etc. So basically everything you need on a cold wet morning. I do have one customer who has one in the family, one of his kids bought one as they fell for the shite. Apparently as long as he charges it at home it works out cheaper than the petrol equivalent but if he does a long journey (over 100 miles) and has to charge at a charging station it works out dearer. They have quite a big house and he did say when the pile of shit is charging they can't use the electric shower as it overloads. Electric on it's own is not the answer and politicians sticking their noses in and decreeing we should all go electric does not help proper engineers and scientists develop real answers to the pollution / resources questions. The other joke is the rip off safety gear they say workshops should have to work on them, these 4 posts and plastic chain are over 250 quid plus you need signs and rubber gloves.
designated high voltage area.jpg
designated high voltage area.jpg (168.58 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
fraser

Post by fraser »

cros wrote:
Guest wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
JimH wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:52 am Thick people who have great difficulty in imagining any situation other than their own.
That will be me then.
I have this
20230204_122231.jpg
I can go back and forth to the office and to the shops. No I didn't need it and I haven't bought it, I have it for two years at a cost of less than £40 per month, I can charge it at work.

I do have three other cars if I want to go anywhere out of town.
The Ami looks an excellent choice if you commute in town; it may well be second cheapest to a bicycle. £20 a month is a steal, 300 quid a month for car that manages to be uglier is just daft.
I guess his missus has to taxi kids about etc, so Ami wouldn't work.
I could live with a 2 seater ev that could do 100 miles between charges and get up to 80/90 mph, for local drives, but could never give up the Dino juice for proper journeys.

fraser

Post by fraser »

panhard65 wrote:I hate electric cars but can see a place for the little Ami. It is small and doesn't really try to be anything more than just a potter around the town mobility scooter. The rest can just fuck off the hopeless piles of shite. I have one bloke who was in the trade comes round reguarly to bore me to death about how wonderful and cheap his electric MG is. I don't care if it is cheap to run I know it can never replace a proper ICE. In the last few years I have twice been in main dealers collecting parts and overheard a customer complaing about shit range. The best one was a woman in Vauxhall who had been given one as a courtesy car. She had it a day and in the morning before she did the school run (1 1/2 miles) the range was over 100 miles. She was now back at the dealer as it was about to run out with a sub 10 mile range. Apparently it is quite normal if you use the lights, wipers, heater etc. So basically everything you need on a cold wet morning. I do have one customer who has one in the family, one of his kids bought one as they fell for the shite. Apparently as long as he charges it at home it works out cheaper than the petrol equivalent but if he does a long journey (over 100 miles) and has to charge at a charging station it works out dearer. They have quite a big house and he did say when the pile of shit is charging they can't use the electric shower as it overloads. Electric on it's own is not the answer and politicians sticking their noses in and decreeing we should all go electric does not help proper engineers and scientists develop real answers to the pollution / resources questions. The other joke is the rip off safety gear they say workshops should have to work on them, these 4 posts and plastic chain are over 250 quid plus you need signs and rubber gloves.
designated high voltage area.jpg
Fuck me, I didn't realise that you had to stake them out like a museum exhibit to service them!!

Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

panhard65 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:34 am I hate electric cars but can see a place for the little Ami. It is small and doesn't really try to be anything more than just a potter around the town mobility scooter. The rest can just fuck off the hopeless piles of shite.
I was going to rant about how you of all people for being a hipster-cripple-wagon apologist, but then I remembered you'll justify any old crap car as long as it's French.
fraser

Post by fraser »

Another thing I just thought of. You travel 150 miles for a weekend with friends or family. How do you approach them to ask them if they don't mind spending £10 to charge your car up for the return journey?
I was also at a caravan park last July. They had signs all over the place saying - No charging of electric vehicles.

Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I have the rule of all the threes before I'll buy an electric car for PH use.

1. Less than £30k
2. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty.
3. 30 minute charge time.
4. 300 mile range.

I'll happily sign on the dotted line when I can find such a car.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Only EV I'm considering at the moment is a pedalec, purely on the basis I'm a fat cunt who doesn't do gradients.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

My brother has a (company) BMW 330 hybrid, which he likes as he can drive it on electric only when he has to/ wants to. He does around 50,000 miles a year, so for him, a full EV would mean more hours in a working day, sat at charging stations.
He has never charged his BMW at home or at a charging station, and seeing as it charges the electric motor when driving on ICE, he never has to.

Personally, my car doesn't get much use, maybe 5,000kms a year. It's got 145,000 kms on it now, so it's going to last me until I die.
Electric motorbikes can fuck right off for me. I did some 30,000 miles on them in 2022, mostly long trips. My petrol scooter does all my small mileage trips (and a few long ones) at 80 mpg.

By the way, just passed the petrol station, and for the first time in over a year, diesel and petrol price is the same (€1.478 per litre). Diesel was €1.587 last week.