Retiring abroad

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: Retiring abroad

Post by DodgeRover »

My mate had just posted this picture from NZ, this would be my idea of retirement before I get too old to enjoy it.

That's home parked on the left.
160585712_10158134352600186_2305842558459703582_o.jpg
160585712_10158134352600186_2305842558459703582_o.jpg (444.37 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

My neighbor was raking the leaves from their trees out of my yard yesterday.

Apparently they didn't want them making a mess.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

If you go by what the BBC say you'd be expected to gun them down for being on your property
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

He didn't need to the pit bull and alligator didn't leave much..

Post by Guest »

Having had a week of what's the point of it all, I'm back to thinking I need to get away from people. In the early 90's I had the place that would now suit me. (No neighbours and down a mile of unmade track, to deter visitors). I liked my old cottage and could easily go a week without having to see anyone. The trouble is something like that around here is now unaffordable.
Looking on line there do seem to be some places left like that in the Scottish Isles. My only question is, as an incomer, would the inhabitants leave me in peace not thinking of the Wickerman but I know some places don't like outsiders cluttering the place up.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I suspect they wouldn't be too bad as they are used to tourists, but a lot of the outer isles are still rather religious so if you expect to do anything on a sunday it maybe frowned on.
Private signature, do not read

Post by Guest »

I usually spend Sundays having a nice dinner, a walk and then sat on my arse arguing with the dogs, Not a church goer.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Guest wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:14 pm Having had a week of what's the point of it all, I'm back to thinking I need to get away from people. In the early 90's I had the place that would now suit me. (No neighbours and down a mile of unmade track, to deter visitors). I liked my old cottage and could easily go a week without having to see anyone. The trouble is something like that around here is now unaffordable.
Looking on line there do seem to be some places left like that in the Scottish Isles. My only question is, as an incomer, would the inhabitants leave me in peace not thinking of the Wickerman but I know some places don't like outsiders cluttering the place up.
That reminded me of this -

A man, tired of busy life in the city, moves to a house at the countryside, middle of nowhere. After living there for few months, his nearest neighbour, a big, hairy guy living few miles away, comes to visit him for the first time.

"There will be a party tonight at my place, are you interested?", asks the neighbour. The guy, already a bit bored of his quiet living, says "Okay, why not."

"There will be some dancing and singing there", informs the neighbour.

"It's okay, I can sing", he answers.

"And know that there will be heavy drinking too."

"That's not a problem either, I haven't had a drink since I moved here."

"There will be fighting too", says the neighbour.

"Uh, okay, I think I can live with that", he says.

"And after all that's been done, there will be some wild sex."

"Now that's good, I haven't got laid in ages!", he says, getting all excited about it.

"So I can count you in?", asks the neighbour.

"You bet you can", he says enthusiastically.

"Okay, so it's a deal. Tonight at my place", says the neighbour and turns to go away.

"Wait, one last thing!", he yells after the neighbour. "How should I dress?"

"Oh, doesn't matter, just gonna be the two of us."
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Guest wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:08 pm I usually spend Sundays having a nice dinner, a walk and then sat on my arse arguing with the dogs, Not a church goer.
I think you'd do ok then.
Private signature, do not read
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

SiC wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:18 pm The problem with a lot of the rural French houses is how utterly dated inside they are. Not only that, knackered looking and spartan.

I remember DaveNumbers also saying how much more expensive buying DIY stuff was over in France too. Plus traded being even more useless than they are over here (sorry Paul).
I have some knowledge of this. My parents had a place in South West France for over 15 years - they used to spend summer there and winter here. They sold it as they felt they were getting too old for it.

French trades can be excellent or rubbish, just like here. An extra complication is troubling yourself to find out how things work, and obviously having the language helps. What is even better is having French neighbours and friends who will help you.

A lot (really a lot) of ignorant Brits (actually it's mainly actually English) rock up and expect to be able to carry on just as if it's England. Some of the cunts have even rewired their houses to English standards and tried to install English plumbing.

Unlike here, you can't just call yourself a builder or a joiner or a roofer and learn as you go. It's all highly regulated and takes years of training. France also has an entirely different attitude to the black market - I won't say it doesn't exist but it is much much more frowned on and secretive. You can receive a criminal conviction for paying someone cash in hand, so it's mostly not done.

Its not surprising that (aside from their natural anti-English racism) when some loud mouthed wide boy arrives from England demanding his sky dish installed for cash they aren't too thrilled.

In case anyone doubts the poor image we have there or the widespread anti-English feeling, I watched a woman at a Vide Grenier reprice some items higher when she saw my daughter was keen on them and we were speaking about it in English.

My Ma and step Dad had a conversation in the Brico about some bathroom tiles they were interested in and the bloke actually slagged off "Les Anglais" to their faces - despite it being obvious they were English but speaking French.

For all that there are some lovely folk - at the same VIde Grenier a woman gave my daughter a doll for free and one of the all time favourite toys, a large fluffy horse was only 3 Euros.

My Ma and Stepdad had their place rewired and replumbed at reasonable cost and on time by locals who turend up on time and did a proper job.

The water board demanded 10K for reconnection of the supply and apparently in back charges for years before they were even there - the local Mayor helped them negotiate it down, and I got him a bottle of Bushmills with his name on the label to say thank you.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)