It's French, it's beige. Am I on the correct forum?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Yellowperil

Re: It's French, it's beige. Am I on the correct forum?

Post by Yellowperil »

I had a night out on the Broads on saturday night.
I found a pub, bought a pint and booked a pitch in their empty campsite for the night.

It was great, Elsie and myself had our dinner there and also I had a few pints and even a double whisky nightcap.

It was really nice not worrying about getting home at the end of the evening.
We then slept in comfort, mostly because we actually took my brother's EribaCar instead of my van.

The bed on mine is just a load of arranged cushions with your feet under the steering wheel (and I am missing a part of it anyway) downstairs and also a few boards that go in the poptop with a matress.
I could make up a single bed for Elsie downstairs, but I would have to make the upstairs bed up as well so that I don't wake her later.
This would leave me with hardly anywhere to sit, so isn't really ideal.
I still haven't slept in mine, but when I have saved enough money for a leisure battery I will have a night out.

The alternator still isn't charging properly, the belt is fine but if I use the headlights the charge light comes on.
What should I be checking now?
Last edited by Yellowperil on Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Diode pack? Worn Brushes?
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

All the connections too
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Check the actual output of alternator.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234459151870

As well as checking state-of-charge off the vehicle, these do cranking and running tests too.

Alternatively use a multimeter that is responsive, so you can see if there's mad ripple in the output.

The alternator can charge, but if the output is all over the place if the regulator is fucked, then the output may be down overall.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yellowperil wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:13 pm
I still haven't slept in mine, but when I have saved enough money for a leisure battery I will have a night out.

I would re-assess the need for a leisure battery after having wasted money on two in my time....If it is for lighting purposes maybe consider replacing or augmenting the interior arrangements with LED lamps, these will run for several nights without a dent in the vehicle battery's charge. If it is for a coolbox or similar I would say even the biggest leisure battery will not cope for very long - they are buggers to charge as well at least in a manner that conserves the life of the thing.

I spent the money on a jump pack in the end - it gives me confidence I can start the frigger if I ever over-do the voltage drain (hasn't happened yet) and the one I bought has USB charging outlets to keep phones and similar up to useable charge in a field.

I have at times taken a spare service battery as well for belt-and-braces protection but I won't be buying any more leisure units.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I run a big leisure battery on the hearse along with a split charge system. I back it up with a large solar panel to top the leisure battery up. It is good enough to keep the leisure battery at over 50 % during the 5 days I have been away in it. I run led lighting, a tv dvd complete with a sound bar. All 12 volt. It also ran my big compressor type cool box which is a proper job that can actually freeze stuff. I did spend quite a bit on this lot though, the fridge was about £300, battery about £100 and the solar set up about £150. I think the solar kit came from a company called Renogy and they are well worth it. I haven't hard wired the panel in I just pop it on the roof pointing in the vague direction of any sun and it will have the battery back up to 100% by lunchtime if it is sunny.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I have a three way fridge that I bought for £300 ish fron go outdoors about twelve years ago. Proper job and is silent not like those that run with the fan on all the time. That freezes stuff too if you turn it down enough. I usuallt run it off gas if I'm away to save the battery.
I once fucked the battery on my v70 by leaving a fanned fridge plugged into the boot area. Volvos were meant to cut the power when they got low but this fucker killed the battery complete. Luckily I was in the rac at the time and they replaced it with a bosch one for £100. I was caravanning at Hexham race course at the time and he had to go all the way to Newcastle to collect it.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

A failure to proceed yesterday, the clutch master cylinder has packed up.
Van now at home while I try and find a new master cylind
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Trafic is still off the road.We have ordered a new seal kit for the master cylinder, but there is one large seal on the top which is knackered, we can't find a new one, it seems integrated into the body of the cylinder.

I cannot seem to post a photo, every time I click on photo icon all that happens is img img appears.

I am beyond useless with this sort of stuff and usually don't care.
I am on a tablet.

Attachments
received_1273230863386702.jpeg
received_1273230863386702.jpeg (97.59 KiB) Viewed 217 times
Last edited by Yellowperil on Thu Sep 21, 2023 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Yellowperil wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:38 pm , every time I click on photo icon all that happens is img img appears.
TECHNOCRIPPLE

looking below the white text box for 'attachments' and 'add files'
Screenshot_2023-09-21-19-41-05-422_com.android.chrome-edit~2.jpg
Screenshot_2023-09-21-19-41-05-422_com.android.chrome-edit~2.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 223 times