1979 Trouble Spitfire

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 1979 Trouble Spitfire

Post by SiC »

Today we needed to go to Clarke's shopping outlet as I needed some new shoes. I did ask Mrs SiC which car she preferred and was more comfortable to go in - Boxster or Spitfire. She said she didn't mind either. So naturally I took the Spitty as I still can't get enough of driving it.

On the way down we did a pit stop at the local Cheddar Classic Car meet that is on a Sunday. Same one that I went with my father in law the other day in this.

This Bristol was here last time but had its flaps open. I believe it's the campsite owners car.

A "Widget"

This fire hazard was parked well away from all the cars thankfully. Delightfully shabby though.

Cosworth

But I'd have an NSX over a 'scort anyday.

Then everything else

ImageImage

Then ventured onto Street

Finally stopped off at Wells for a quick wander and an ice cream.

Ran perfectly the whole way. It does have an intermittent squeal from the driveline at speed. Not entirely sure where it's coming from. Putting it out of gear makes it go away and it doesn't do it all the time. Hopefully nothing serious and nothing to worry about but it is a new sound and notable.

I also haven't actually washed it since I bought it... It really could do with one.
My excuse is that the weather is far too nice and what spare time I have, I'd rather be driving it!
christine

Post by christine »

Thrust bearing squeal...

That's an impressive building
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

christine wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:18 pm Thrust bearing squeal...
I thought the same but decided to keep it to myself, should only be when the clutch is down though shouldn't it?
christine

Post by christine »

Oh i was only on a wind up ... it's probably just mrs Sic squealing that sics going too fast .

dry u. j s ? Have the spiders got grease nipples ?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

If universal joints, I'd have thought it would stay with the clutch down.

Iirc thrust bearings is most pronounced when clutch down. I'd have thought I'd killed it by now if they had dropped.

Probably just the water pump, alternator or something like that.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Just ignore it whilst the sun is out unless it gets dramatically worse,
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That's currently the plan. Fix anything that stops it being safe or proceeding. Worry about anything else at autumn/winter.

E.g. it's not squealing with the clutch down anymore (so probably release bearing) but there is a fair bit of clutch judder when setting off. It's annoying and probably need the box removing to sort but I can live with it.

Also e.g. that fuse box I've fixed up enough to work but I'll probably replace it with a Lucas 7FJ as on my BGT once the weather starts turning.

I currently can't get enough of driving it. Not sure if that'll change eventually (probably/usually once the honeymoon period wears off!) but certainly when we finally get some rain, I'll pull the BGT out and use that instead. Hopefully that should be reliable without too many teething troubles from sitting for probably a good 8months or more now.

Weather is too stonkingly good to be driving a coupé. I've also hardly used the Boxster since I've had the Spitfire. It's looking a bit sad with tree sap and dust all over it at the moment. I ought to clean it really.
Next year will be five years with it. I might start consider moving it on. Don't know what I'd replace it with though. I've always wanted a MGTF but not sure if that might feel a bit too much of a downgrade against the Boxster! Could get a Z4 too.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Pulled apart the thermostat switch last night to see why it failed and if it was fixable.

Looks like the contacts burnt out. I'd be surprised if these were really 16a or even 20a rated.

The daft thing is, the normally closed contacts (i.e. when cold) are far bigger than the ones used for the fan. These do look meaty enough for a 16a rating. But utterly useless for a fan switch!

Anyway it looks destined for the bin.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:27 pm When you have a head on crash in a spit , herald , vitesse , gt6 , the bonnet catches fail and the bonnet comes back and cuts your head off ..
From Facebook. Those catches have failed but the drivers head looks like it'd be fine.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1687036036971.jpg
FB_IMG_1687036036971.jpg (81.58 KiB) Viewed 248 times
christine

Post by christine »

Caused be that cyclist ... Good find !