Afternoon all

Please let us know why you're here and if you know how to use a 3/8th Gripely to ream your trunnions square....
Soundwave

Afternoon all

Post by Soundwave »

Hello. Background character from the Beige here, come to lurk since the Beige is b0rked.

I have an odd fondness for 90s Rovers, 80s Saabs, Mazda MX5s and aircooled VWs (though I hate aircooled VW "cuLtUre". Fuck off, you're not a free-spirited hippy, you're an estate agent from Surrey. You're fooling nobody).

Anyway, time to get my fix of lurking unsettingly in a shite car forum.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Afternoon all

Post by paulplom »

Bonjour mon amis.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

It ain't half busy lately, welcome along
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I've already clocked the Beetle....Nice to see another VW owner distancing himself from the dubberdicks.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

mercrocker wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:28 pm I've already clocked the Beetle....Nice to see another VW owner distancing himself from the dubberdicks.
I used to buy into all that VW scene crap, it was alright many years ago when I was a student. Because as a student, I was automatically already a cunt and could therefore afford to go the whole cunty shebang.

As I grew up though, I got disillusioned with the groundhog day VW shows, the tedious insistence among the scenesters that aircooled engines and rear drive were somehow superior despite every fucking marque in the world including VW themselves dropping it, and the amount of irrelevant tat people would get me for Christmas purely because it had a picture of a VW camper on it. A set of porcelain thimbles was the final straw.

TBH I only still have the Beetle for sentimental purposes, as cringeworthy as I find it all now it was fun at the time and got me properly into "shit" cars. Plus I met some friends via it that I still have now, many of whom outgrew VW events at the same rate that I did, which is handy, although like me many still have VWs. We just aren't arsed about "teh SCEEEEN" as a whole anymore.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Soundwave wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:14 pm
mercrocker wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:28 pm I've already clocked the Beetle....Nice to see another VW owner distancing himself from the dubberdicks.
I used to buy into all that VW scene crap, it was alright many years ago when I was a student. Because as a student, I was automatically already a cunt and could therefore afford to go the whole cunty shebang.

As I grew up though, I got disillusioned with the groundhog day VW shows, the tedious insistence among the scenesters that aircooled engines and rear drive were somehow superior despite every fucking marque in the world including VW themselves dropping it, and the amount of irrelevant tat people would get me for Christmas purely because it had a picture of a VW camper on it. A set of porcelain thimbles was the final straw.

TBH I only still have the Beetle for sentimental purposes, as cringeworthy as I find it all now it was fun at the time and got me properly into "shit" cars. Plus I met some friends via it that I still have now, many of whom outgrew VW events at the same rate that I did, which is handy, although like me many still have VWs. We just aren't arsed about "teh SCEEEEN" as a whole anymore.
KEITH SUEME FANBOY!
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Soundwave

Post by Soundwave »

Christ, you can tell it's been years since I went to anything VW specific... actually had to Google who that was. :D
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

As you will no doubt discover, I have a water-cooled T25. I like lots of cars regardless of who else does. After 17 years I've become immune both to self-combustion jokes and the unwarranted attention of dubbers. This came to a head a few years ago when we attended a vintage festival which had a "VW ONLY" camping area. I resolutely parked amidst the motley non VW campers/motorhomes/parcel vans after being initially directed to Dubland. It was bloody miles away, too, but I was much happier away from Them.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I used to go for the day to get parts although once carrying a complete door about 1/2 mile in the blazing heat was a bit of a pain. Once my restoration had finished, about 10 years ago, I stopped, especially as the US guy selling hody panels had given up, along with a load of other regulars, and the stalls were just basically selling scene crap by then.

Mind you I don't like people so I don't attend MG events either.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

MGOC events were a bit odd in the 80s