The car you always promised yourself (but never got around to buying)

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: The car you always promised yourself (but never got around to buying)

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I was looking at 350Z's for years waiting for them to bottom out. That happened to coincide with my old mans 70th birthday. Life didn't work out for him when he was 50 and had promised himself a Jaaaag XK8 iirc? I reminded him of this but pointed out they could be nothing but trouble. I may* have influenced his decision to buy a 350Z. He bought a low mileage convertible 3 weeks later in electric blue and loves it, especially as it's still worth what he paid for it 3.5 years ago.

Another one for me is the Fiat Coupe 20v turbo in that bright blue they came in.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Rover P5B, V6 Capri or a XJS for. I'll never have them now at today's prices.
Or an original Elan, but I probably wouldn't fit in it now.

Oh & a Blower Bentley but I was never able to consider buying one.
Private signature, do not read
christine

Post by christine »

TR4a with a surrey top
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Being the sad fucker I am I always regret not having the £50 (or my parents giving me £50 in about 1971) so I could buy the piano front Regent I (look it up) that was in a bus scrappies in Blacker Hill, near Barnsley.
Cars, I remember standing at the bus stop near Sheffield Royal Infirmary on my way home from school in the late 60's and regularly saw an old lad in a bull nose Morris, W62 was the reg, and thinking I'd love that. Sadly, (sorry should have started the sentence without the capital letter) it appears that after he died his descendants scrapped it.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

U always wanted a Lotus Cortina, tried to buy a mk1 from a friend's boyfriend, took my stepdad with me as he actually DID know about cars and such and he condemned it out of hand. He was right of course as it was rotten and a re-engined GT so not the real thing.

A few years later I went and drooled over a MK2 with Tecalamit duel injection and the fucking thing was mint and gorgeous. I drove like a maniac to my Grandads and pleaded to borrow the money, was granted such and thundered back to sunny Scunny only for the car to have sold in the three hours I'd been away,

Poo sticks!

Also tried to buy two (on separate occasions ) Triumph Tridents, first was a T150 and the guy was up for a swap against my CB750 K6 but when I rode the Triumph I was seriously underwhelmed as it vibrated like a jack hammer and was slower than the bloody Honda!

The second one was a T160 and was lovely, couldn't raise the money in time and a mate of mine bought it... the bastard! It eventually ended up in bits on his garage roof as it blew up within a couple of weeks of him getting it. The same mate had form for abandoning bikes when they went wrong, a Kawasaki 1100 shaft thing ended up next to the Triumph on the garage roof.

Ho-hum
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

mercrocker wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:55 pm
Forced to choose just one I'd plump (today) for the Rover just because I passed one earlier as I went out to fill Mrs Rocker's Focus and get some tea. The £90 that cost might well have got a runner back in the day....
After I passed my test in 1976 I bought a F (or G?) registration P5B in Old English White for the princely sum of £65.
Fucked wasn't the word for it. Floors, sills and door bottoms rotted out. Gearbox shot, took an age to engage drive, seats looked like Edward Scissorhands was the previous owner. But it had Rostyles and spotlights.

After about 4 weeks I limped it to my mates dad scrapyard in Stebbing. I gave him £25 and the Rover for a 1963 Consul Cortina that was equally as fucked, but it had four spoke RS wheels with bald tyres on it.

When a car can be beyond repair in 6 or 7 years, I can't say I'd like another
christine

Post by christine »

:shock: Jesus christ , i've just looked at TR4 prices !
Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert »

TVR, any TVR. I suspect if i ever did pull the trigger on one it would end up backwards in a ditch killing me or never fucking working. I had a particular thing for the T350. Those fuckers are still nearly the same price now as they were when they were new.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

Citroen SM.

Ferrari Daytona Spider.

Ben
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Chrysler Valiant Charger or Hardtop
Ford XA/B/C Falcon coupe, got close to buying an XC (number 3 of a few homogolation specials) but spent the money on an engagement ring instead, that car has been magazine featured several times since.
Hillman Imp
TR7/8 - went down Sheffield to fetch one described as just needing light work, somebody ran into the back of the towing dolly outside the Wednesday ground then the car was fucked when we got there :(

My mates 66? Impala but thinking about it I would never have the heart to drive it or leave it anywhere because it was special to him.