New NCAP lunacy

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

New NCAP lunacy

Post by LynehamHerc »

Here's the new regs, no wonder cars are getting more and more unaffordable as the idealistic Tefal Heads seem to be in charge:

'New Euro NCAP car safety tests prioritise underwater escape and locked-in kids
Five-star cars now need windows that work underwater, as testing body looks harder at post-crash safety'

Perhaps with a view to rising incidences of global warming-induced flash flooding, but more likely as a response to the increasing number of vehicles entering production with electrically-operated door catches, the test body will now insist that any car so-equipped must ensure windows and doors remain operable when submerged - at least for a period of time that’s deemed long enough for any occupants to make their escape.

Children left behind in locked cars anywhere are another area where Euro NCAP is intervening, with a new requirement that five star cars must have Child Detection Systems that will monitor the car’s interior for the presence of an occupant, and will be able to notify the driver, or the emergency services, if parents accidentally forget to let their kids out of the car.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/3523 ... ocked-kids

So how many on here drowned in a submerged car or died as a result of their parents forgetting about them?

Yet another thing to go wrong and write a car off,
JimH

Re: New NCAP lunacy

Post by JimH »

Any self-important bell who even considers NCAP test scores when purchasing a car should be drowned.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Isn't it ncap that gives points for abs,end as well as auto braking and reader cruise to help prevent accidents? No wonder folk don't need to know how to drive today.
Same can be said for pedestrian safety bonnets that pop up at the hinge. If a two tonne lump of metal doing 60 hits you I'm sure the bonnet popping up will be the least of your worries.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

The problem is that the more people you have involved the more idiotic ideas they come up with to justify their existence.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

At least the kid detection might save some dogs left in hot cars.
Private signature, do not read
Uncle Albert

Post by Uncle Albert »

Can't they leave people to do a Richard Hillman in peace?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... ge-3532728

She used to be a regular punter of mine.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

A PUB landlady who drowned ina car which plunged into a lake spent the evening arguing with her husband, a court heard.
I love the way they don’t even attempt to make it clear whether the argument was before, during or after the car went into the lake.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The picture accompanying the story in that link is obviously an advert but as I sped-read it and scrolled quickly down I thought for an instant it was actually of New Brighton Marine Lake. Fuck me, I thought, they've smartened that up a bit since I last saw it.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

LynehamHerc wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:50 pm Children left behind in locked cars anywhere are another area where Euro NCAP is intervening, with a new requirement that five star cars must have Child Detection Systems that will monitor the car’s interior for the presence of an occupant, and will be able to notify the driver, or the emergency services, if parents accidentally forget to let their kids out of the car.
I wonder if this will prevent a quick kip in the back of a car in a lay-by on a long trip… or worse, calling the police if you start dogging in the back! :lol: