MODERN Saabs- any good??

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

MODERN Saabs- any good??

Post by Nibblet »

Considering purchasing a modern Saab (this century is modern to me), to replace my 9000 which is getting a bit beyond economic repair. No doubt there will be some pervs on here that will have sampled delights from the GM era, thoughts/experiences on a postcard please.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
AutoshiteBoy

Re: MODERN Saabs- any good??

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SHITE.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

My ex SiC '54 plate 95 was a decent motor, I'd still have it now if I hadn't wanted another Jaaaaag
Private signature, do not read
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

If you must buy a Scaab, make sure it’s a 1.9TiD. The TTiD is a disaster and the petrols are pointless. They’re all puddings to drive and you can do better tbh. Mondeos are far better.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Didn't Paulplom have one? a 9-5?
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:36 pm If you must buy a Scaab, make sure it’s a 1.9TiD. The TTiD is a disaster and the petrols are pointless. They’re all puddings to drive and you can do better tbh. Mondeos are far better.
Hrrrrrggh, don't want a diseasel. Must be petrol HP turbo. As for a Mondeo, oh dear no old boy, I'd rather not.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Mondeos are genuinely good.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

In a word no. The 9000 was the last decent Saab anything newer is just a shit Vauxhall in a party frock.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The petrol 9-3 water pump is driven by the timing chain. Yep. That was a good idea.

Saabs are bangers, one owner and a reasonable sized bill away from the bridge. The seats are good though.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I liked my Saab 9-3 a lot. However even in 2011 when I got it at 6 years old, it was falling apart and stuff packing up. Diesel wise the 1.9 TTiD is rare and parts aren't super easy to get. The 1.9 TiD came in 120bhp 8v form and 150bhp 16v form. Don't bother with the 8v imo. All have EGR problems and the ones with DPFs weren't close coupled plus had shit software so end up regening far too much. Dual Mass Flywheels can give trouble too.

Pick of the bunch was always the 1.8t/2.0t/2.0T petrols. Essentially the same engine but in three different power tunes and bigger turbos on the more powerful. Much better go than the diesels, less problems and fuel economy isn't too different. The engines are completely different from the Saab engines of old.

However I suspect most will be pretty fucked at this point as they've been cheap cars for so long. Also remember it was co-developed with the Vectra. Shares a lot of parts - a good and bad thing.

Handling is reasonable for what it is. Of course the equivalent German cars were much better. But then they've always held their value much better too.

Then there is the 9-5. More Saab like than the 9-3 and less parts bin than it. Basically feels like a more modern version of your 9000 with more GM'ness imo. Again I really liked the one I had. Diesel is the same 2.2 GM or 1.9 GM/Fiat engines as above. Petrols are the same basic Saab unit from old. All can be noobtune remapped for good power gains. The 2.3 LPT is quicker off the line than the 2.3 FPT Aero due to the smaller turbo spinning up quicker. Remapped makes it quicker than a stock Aero. The engines aren't particularly fuel efficient nowadays though. But you'll probably find it similar to your 9000.

Auto gearboxes can be a bit of a liability. Depends if previous owners got the fluid changed. Unlike other manufacturers using the same box, Saab actually specified a fluid change and not sealed for life. Problem is, many dealers didn't do it.

Handling on the 9-5 will be like your 9000. I.e. great in a straight line but not particularly great around corners!

I'd get another 9-5 if I wanted a big car to waft around in. Problem is, they're starting to thin out in availability now too.