Cars you always wanted, then didn't...

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

Re: Cars you always wanted, then didn't...

Post by Nibblet »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:16 pm Alfa 156. Maybe the one I drove was a bad example.
I've been scoping cars on Facebook marketplace recently and noticed there's loads of recent Alfas of different flavours on there. None of them are that pretty, especially quick or luxurious. They're kinda dull really, the equivalent of all those average women with average straight blonde hair who have no conversational skills who I encountered in my 30s.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've never understood the attraction of Alfas, none look or sound that good & being Italian the only way you'd enjoy* it is looking at it broken on your drive.
Private signature, do not read
fraser

Post by fraser »

Hooli wrote:I've never understood the attraction of Alfas, none look or sound that good & being Italian the only way you'd enjoy* it is looking at it broken on your drive.
I had a rusty as fuck original GTV6 after my Alfasud. The noise from the V6 at full chat was magnificent.

Sent from my RMO-NX1 using Tapatalk

The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I wanted a 911 until I drove one in 1994. They were quite fast and sounded good but I’d been driving cars via my job which I preferred. E36 325i, Alfa 164 3.0 and most of all, the M100 Elan - I still consider that the best sports car I have ever driven. Much better than the fucking Elise that followed it.

Having said that, a seventies 911 would be good as a classic but not for the coin they are now.
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

BX19 GTi 4X4 - I'd had a 2wd BX 19 GTI so i thought the only thing that could make it better was 4wd - it wasn't, it was worse in every way, and I had traded in a 205 1.9 GTi for it. I didn't keep the 205 very long as it was slow, had no discernable suspension and was just generally average.
My MK2 Cortina 1600E was a massive disappointment too, the fucker.

Never liked porkers or BMs so no chance of being disappointed - although I drove a 5 series once and was underwhelmed, as well as a 996 911 on a track day - struggled to see what the fuss was about.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
NigelBickle

Post by NigelBickle »

I’ve found most cars I’ve thought “ speshal” just aren’t. Boredom sets in, they get thrashed till they break then a world of pain swiftly follows.
I’ve had exotica- ( still do, racked up) but it’s just compromised driving, with added agg from the rest of the populous. Being young, image felt important - now? Not so. It would be a lengthy, disappointing list.

I get far more ‘ fun’ out of ragging something old - taking liberties in traffic, first away from the lights. Britain is a congested slow country now, little likelihood of any serious progress these days.

Best memory is my old Se5, 1970, near full throttle back to Surrey from Inverness, post Best Man duties for a mucker. That was a glorious trip, on a mid summers night where it barely got dark, sidelights only, at a huge, constant speed.
There’s a car I wish I’d kept.
cuntbuster

Post by cuntbuster »

Ford focus, mark 1, it was years before I tried one, all the hype about how it changed the game, class leading suspension blah etc yawn. Got a mk1 years after they'd stopped making them and nothing noteworthy about it at all, sold it within twelve months, haven't had another since then.
Who you gonna call
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Lotus. I have had two, they are brilliant to drive, appalling to own: badly built with stupid ideas (dash lights via a little light in the rollbar that 'shines' on the centre of the dash, or the steering column that is installed before the engine so when the U/J goes, the world is a painful place).

Eclat and an Excel.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I really wanted a Peugeot 604 V6. There were few to be seen but eventually, I found one about a hundred miles away. Roped a mate into taking me and to stop me from doing something silly if it was a shed. Got there and the car was lovely and just as described.

But, I didn't want it.

I did take it for a bit of a test drive and it was fine, it just didn't float my boat in person. I've no idea why, I just didn't want to buy the thing. I felt a right twat turning it down.

Post by Guest »

There are loads of cars that I fancied, bought and didn't really get on with. The biggest disappointment was the Bond Bug, I remember them new, I always wanted one they just looked so stupid and fun.
Unfortunately by the time I got around to owning one I had gone 50. It was an ordeal, I did not enjoy it. It felt dangerous in an unsafe way. Bob the dog did not like it. I drove it probably half a dozen times and stuck it back up for sale.

The other biggish disappointment was the Mini Moke. I bought a rusty one, by the time it was welded up I hated it. (There was always just a bit more to weld). I would possibly consider another, but it would have to be a complete toy and not rusty.