United States of GRIZZ - Just how random do you want it?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Grizz

Re: United States of GRIZZ - Just how random do you want it?

Post by Grizz »

One of yesterday’s tasks was to try open the Peugeot 206 CC bootlid/trunk

Amazingly patient guidance from Eddie Honda on thedarkwob saw me continue to fail.

Three hours, yes really….. 3 hours in total spent trying to get mechanisms addresses. Failed.

I have to admit that since getting the car home in November, it has done less than 2 miles, being surplus to my needs.
So I actually never even opened the roof, it was WINTER after all.

I am also petrified of opening the roof partially or something like that and getting it stuck only for the weather to change and it to become a big green bucket.

Removing the passenger side rear seat back allows you to get a hand, pokey stick or eyeball through the hole.
But not all three or even two at a time.
Space in the rear is also tight and limited access unless you are a contortionist or masochist or both.

​So in preparation for this event I made up a pokey stick with a 90’ hook and LED light at the end.

Overall, this was the battlefield.

Trust me…….

It was not fun.

I may try access it all again some time today.

Fooling the roof mechanism into believing it is safe to open may be the way to get access to the rear. Though I don’t really know what to do after it opens halfway.

In the mean time the garage and sorting out all of that stuff means I have enough excuses to not get started either.

We will see.
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem mate.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:33 am

It feels amazing when you are able to pull a crazy thread pitch nut, bolt, fuse, lightbulb or whatever from your stash and give it to someone who needs it.
Provided I can find it, of course.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Great video.

Wrong car.

Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:34 am Though I don’t really know what to do after it opens halfway.
Have unrivalled access to reach in and pop the lock open.

Even though I'm Mister Slow, I'd of had it done by now. I have previous for working blind, having changed a clutch on a Reliant Kitten - outdoors, in the dark and in below seasonal temperatures for Marioland on the 23rd December.
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am Great video.

Wrong car.

It's okay. Needs a remix down to 30 seconds.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:55 am
Grizz wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:51 am Great video.

Wrong car.

It's okay. Needs a remix down to 30 seconds.

Then you would hate my YouTube channel.

Long winded explanations.

But getting better
Eddie Honda

Post by Eddie Honda »

Waffle has it's place, but for a 'How To' type video, just cut to the chase. I want to fix the bloody thing before it rains and have a beer, not have to boxset binge to find a nugget of info.

Show me what needs doing. What tools I need to get or make. Don't skip any vital steps. Job jobbed. I've a pause button if it's going too quick.

No titles, no crap music, less chat and MOAR arrows pointing at things so an international audience (foreigners) can just follow the pictures.
Last edited by Eddie Honda on Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Or even better. Just fucking write it down in easy to follow clear steps with a couple of pictures.

Youtube videos are the last resort for finding out how to do things as every single person who've ever done one is an annoying twat that waffles for fucking hours without telling you what they are pretending they are going to tell you.
Private signature, do not read
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:25 pm Or even better. Just fucking write it down in easy to follow clear steps with a couple of pictures.

Youtube videos are the last resort for finding out how to do things as every single person who've ever done one is an annoying twat that waffles for fucking hours without telling you what they are pretending they are going to tell you.
You mean like this one?

It is the right amount of information for the likes of me.

Copied from a 206CC forum group written by the guy with the problem.

QUESTION

Any good ideas out there-I can't open the boot!
It should be easy, just unlock the car, put the key in the boot lock and turn to the left-but it doesn't work!
The problem is that the little bit of wire which connects the lock to the operating switch which is marginal in length at best and has probably bent a little so it won't make contact. If I turn the key any harder I will break the key off!
Next I tried accessing the boot by opening the roof. Yes, you're right, the cover in the boot is rolled up so the roof will not open and I can't open the boot to pull the cover over!
What about opening the roof manually. Well the key to switch to manual is in the boot!
You can't access the boot via the back seats because behind them is solid metal.
My local main dealer had a go - and failed miserably! They think the only solution is to drill out the boot lock, operate the connecting wire manually through the hole and then refit a new lock. For this little job they want to charge nearly £300! Apart from the cost there is nothing wrong with the lock itself and I don't want to destroy a perfectly good lock.
Anyone know a good car thief who can open it without damaging the bodywork?

ANSWER

Hooray - I'm in! Thanks for the steer Ron.
For anyone else who comes up with the same problem the procedure is:
1. Remove rear seats buy undoing the 4 10mm nuts holding them. It helps to have a long socket but an open ended spanner will do.

2. There is a 4" square access panel behind each seat. Inside the car and facing the rear (very cramped!) the right hand one is covered only by some boot lining which can be pushed out of the way.

3. With the help of a good torch the micro switch for the roof boot blind is visible on the far side of the boot out of reach even if you have a long arm! The micro switch for the roof needs to be pushed down to open the roof so I made up a 'special tool'. This consisted of 36" length of 1/2" square wood with a small nail in the end stick out at a right angle by about 1/2". The nail was too thin to push the switch down so I wrapped insulating tape round it until it was about 1/4" diameter. I then poked the rod through the access hole and hooked it into the boot blind catch to operate the microswitch.

4. Ignition on and the roof then was able to fold back. When the boot had hinged back I stopped the operation and removed the boot trim. The boot lock can then be opened by hand from the inside.

5. The roof can then be closed again and the boot opened with the key as normal.

It may be a bit fiddly but its better than spending £300 with a dealer and waiting 2 weeks for a new lock!

By the way, in the short term, in order to prevent the problem happening again I removed the short wire that goes from the lock to the central locking actuator which I left in the open position. The boot lock now continues to work perfectly but has to be locked and unlocked using the key. As you have to use the key anyway after the central locking has been on I can see very little problem in continuing to do this. Isn't technology wonderful - sometimes!

Will try again when the rain is gone.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Yup, that's much better and easier to follow.
Private signature, do not read