How do I wire a 24v starter into a 12 v system?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: How do I wire a 24v starter into a 12 v system?

Post by DodgeRover »

You probably don't know then, there's a bloke being trying to get in contact with you on the beige about a car you've had from him and someone else has been posting continually to say you are at deaths door and not to bother you?
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Not this old chestnut again...

I just want more info on that utterly horrible looking motorhome! It looks brilliant! A diesel, too? Even better. It even looks like a V8 from the engine bay shot. Is it really that GM diesel V8? Amazing.

If it is that engine, drum has one of them but in a car. He may have more info on parts?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

SubPar wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:43 pm Not this old chestnut again...
Has Torsten got into contact with him then? At the very least Nigel should be made aware someone is posing as a family member and posting on his behalf?
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

Yes that’s it I thought it was odd as they were making out you’d lost your marbles and were not well at all and then here you are.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
NigelBickle

Post by NigelBickle »

Yes, never let the truth get in the way off good story, eh!

The minute this started my password on the beige, ‘ failed’ & I’ve been unable to get access, since. I’ve tried to reset twice, but each seemingly ignored. Simultaneously, the thread was moved off the main page so I can’t even get to see it. Convenient

Near simultaneously, a ‘senior’ highly visible member sold a vehicle to my family, that was apparently not his to sell. An unpleasant situation ensued when we tried to register it, necessitating many times purchase price to the actual owner. considerable effort & some acrimony has been expended resolving the situation with the actual owner, (not the keeper) . Legal proceedings for simple redress against that person have been started. I’ll not discuss this further till the Case has been heard / decided - which seems likely be a very long time!

Torsten, Vec, Viscount Basingstoke or whatever his name is this week is actually Kevin McGuire, from south Norwood, London- works in Clapham. I have never hidden behind a pseudonym, I don’t see that my ‘ accuser’ should, either.

We have been occasional friends for round 30 years, when we found a mutual interest in unusual stepthru’s- before the internet existed! We’ve swopped numerous vehicles over the years regularly, and it is only recently that he’s elected to monetise our transactions - since his house in France was comprehensively ransacked ( he was well warned it would happen). His recollection of our last 4 transactions seems skewed/ flawed to me - as I have said.
Again, I have suggested the law is his best option here, and I welcome the opportunity to substantively counter claim. I don’t intend to discuss this further, as I think he’s taken silly differences way too far. His allegations are, of course, untrue,& without merit.
He has always had my personal, & work mobile, wife’s number, landline, both emails, my eldest s numbers, emails, my middle sons number, email, all our address’, U.K. & family overseas. I am out of circulation often, but he’d get a response when I next resurface.

I’ve been ill several years, with a gradual, managed decline. Long term era know that - it isn’t a recent phenomena.
I was due 2 ops last Spring, but that all went wrong with Covid, & despite increasingly aggressive drugs my condition now varies wildly on an ever quickening cycle. Prognosis isn’t the best , but I am told I’m now on for a much larger op sometime in late May. Hopeful, but the whole NHS seems up in the air right now,

2 of my kids joined the beige ( despite knowing little about cars) to try & sort out these issues, but quickly got howled off by the mob. Unedifying, unworthy& an unpleasant sign of the way it’s gone. Incidentally, 1 have 6 kids (youngest now in their 30’s!) - 2 mine, 2 my wife’s, 2 foster children we brought through their teens.

I was on A/s from close to inception - @ 12-14 years, when talk on old cars was varied, detailed, interesting. It now seems to be filled with pre pubescent hate- filled warriors intent on sowing bile at every opportunity, talking minor nonsense on near new nondescript junk. Most of the old school has long gone, and I’m reluctantly finished there too.

I’ve had to move in with my son, down west, because I can’t really be left alone, for long. Intent, currently is too move between family members as my situation varies.

This behemoth is parked beside his house, and hasn’t moved in 3-4 yrs. Seems the owner/ a good friend asked to park it briefly whilst he refurbed it, He guttedthe interior banjaxing. the roof, left it leaking & vanished. Since I’ve been here we’ve gently chased up his family to discover his sad unexpected demise last year, and they have recently signed it over-for a small payment. It’s not mine, but my sons.

Initially we intended to just scrap it, but no lorry can get to it. We tried to tow it up the hill to the road (3/4 mile away) but the lump wouldn’t move. So we see little choice but to get it to run, to drive it out. But if we spend the money/ effort to do that, we might as well refit it.......

It’s an 88 RV Gulfstream, 6.2 litre GM diesel with some of the dodgiest wiring I’ve ever seen.28’ long, 8’ wide, I’ve been in smaller apartments. Solid, with a chassis like the Forth bridge, apart from the roof & missing supports, the Ignition seems to be a small domestic light switch, the fuse box is exposed to the weather out front, it’s a mess of spaghetti 12 & 240 volt. I’ve just found a huge generator directly under the bedroom, which I can get to spin over but not start, I cant even see if it’s petrol or diesel- or where to fill it

It is just huge. My son is fit/ able to is willing to jack up, sufficiently to get right under & remove the starter. We’ll then look to rebuild or replace- or investigate retiring to 12v? It’s size/ weight frightens me witless. We’ll see how it goes.

I don’t propose to go further into the crap on the beige; here. I found it unedifying, offensive and just plain wrong. But the baying mob win out, again. They’ve done it to others, now me. That is how the forum will die, eating itself up with malice. It seems to the future, Shame.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Thanks for the explanation, not being on the beige since I was 'nuked from orbit by a glitch' I'd only seen the gossip about it all.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

I'm with you both on the demise of the beige. I still hang around there only for the ebay thread and the low cost big liability thread in the modern section (that's always a source of a good few laughs, and none of the howling virtue-signallers seem to hang around that section). I've updated my own cars thread on here more than on there now.

Good to hear the background of the camper, however unfortunate it is.

As said already, drum of this parish has a 6.2 GM V8 diesel but in a car so he may know some pointers. I don't know how to tag people on here yet though.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SubPar wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:27 am I don't know how to tag people on here yet though.
I don't think you can, this place isn't very advanced.
Private signature, do not read
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Glad you are aware etc, just seemed very odd and then it was hidden or moderated out of sight. I could vaguely remember you had had problems with neighbours? stalking you on the internet in the past and wondered if one of them had decided to answer.

I think people have just started a new user name rather than try and recover the password to an old one on the beige.

Erm just out of interest how much will said behemoth be, and is there anything left at all inside it?

Have you brought any more bikes out of hibernation?
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Also are you sure it's 24v a lot of yanks use multiple batteries but wired in parallel for more cranking capacity