Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Re: Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Post by FhakeConcern »

FhakeConcern wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:23 pm Triumph GT6

My mate had one when I had a Mini 1275GT. The Mini was faster and could leave it behind easily on any twisty road plus the GT6 had no space inside with that huge transmission tunnel (also his was brown).
I just found a pic of this...
IMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG (382.1 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
I also remembered that soon after he bought the thing he found the gearbox would get really heavy to shift when hot and spent nearly as much as the car cost having it re built.I think the company was called Armco Transmission or something similar and I remember my mate calling it "Armandalegco Transmissions".
It was exactly the same afterwards...
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

911 air-cooled jobby, really wanted one (was a wannabe yuppie) and hated it: engine sounded like a bag of spanners pedals were floor hinged and awful, the interior was basic and the heater...

MGB, Heritage shell, Oselli 2 litre engine, wood and leather inside and all perfect in every detail. Absolutely awful to drive! Had no go, handled like a greased pig on acid hated it, made a profit though.

VW Beetle. Where to start? just horrendous in every way,

Conversely, loved the 205 GTI in 1.9 flavour, thought it was terrific fun but I didn't want to have the huge accident I was on course for in that car so it had to go.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

That last paragraph doesn't sound anything like you X.
Have you got a ghost writer to finish your posts off when you're bored with doing them?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

toysup1.PNG
toysup1.PNG (624.41 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
I'm trying to remember the circumstances in which I had to act as custodian of a 12 year old 3.0 NA example back in 1992. I think* my mechanic bought it for his bit on the side to drive after she passed her test. It was an auto and managed to drink fuel like an XJS and yet seem slower than my 2.0 Mk2 Mondeo.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Loved beetles, couldn’t meld with my 86 impact bumper 911. Really wanted to, but just didn’t happen.
Previous early 912s we’re great. One day I’d love an early 911, but for now my new shit heap 912 will be the car.

Had a Boxster 2.5 back in the day, but other than the pose of it, it never really clicked… until I went to sell it. I ended up caning the balls off it and it finally made sense.

Always fancied a Mk1 RS turbo, but I’m guessing that by today’s standards, it probably wouldn’t be what I imagine it to be.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

LynehamHerc wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:11 pm That last paragraph doesn't sound anything like you X.
Have you got a ghost writer to finish your posts off when you're bored with doing them?
Of course, don't we all?
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Alfa Romeo 164 cloverleaf- everything electrical worked, it started every time, didn't overheat and went quite well to boot while sounding lovely.

The expectation was for it to be a bit shit. It was a nice example and was quite surprising, fwd torque steer was fun.

(It did later catch fire in a petrol station so I suppose that made up for it)
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

A 1977 LHD but UK spec Mk1 Golf GTi. I'll admit it was super cheap even at the time (1988). Hardly a week went by without something fucking up with it. Starter, alternator, wheel bearings and the like. I'd just gone into this much missed car spares shop to buy another wheel bearing and hopped back in, started the engine and sat in the drivers seat wondering why the paint was starting to bubble on the bonnet. Yes the fucking thing had split a fuel line and was happily self-immolating! At the time I was fucking happy to let it burn when the owner of the shop ran out with a fire extinguisher and put out the flames. To add insult to injury, he then insisted I gave him £20 for the fire extinguisher!
battyre1.PNG
battyre1.PNG (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1365 times
As an aside, this Street View pic from 2008 features the St Vincent charity collections van I was driving as a volunteer for 200 hours at the time.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
christine

Post by christine »

My Caddy Sport mk1 was supposed to be the hot handling GTi front half , with the practical back half . And all the extras to make it look cool.. Reality , made in Yugoslavia , American spec JH engine , a whole 95bhp . Leaf springs on the back made it bounce around on its balloon tyres . Fitting nicer looking wheels and tyres didn't help that either, the commercial origins shone through . Good fun though :)

Copy of caddy sport 019.jpg
Copy of caddy sport 019.jpg (392.02 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
caddy sport 015.jpg
caddy sport 015.jpg (510.21 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Copy of caddy sport 003.jpg
Copy of caddy sport 003.jpg (162.26 KiB) Viewed 1364 times
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

Because I couldnt justify £12k on a VX220 I got a £6k one of these.
226F10B5-5B4E-468F-BA0A-169D03B81327.jpeg
226F10B5-5B4E-468F-BA0A-169D03B81327.jpeg (259.91 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
The only thing it was good at really, was motorway cruising.
It needed 50 kg of sand in the front to be fast around mini-roundabouts but really just did not have enough suspension travel to cope with anything but track-smooth roads.
Enough power but from a thrashy long-stroke engine quite out of place in a sports car.