Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Warren t claim

Re: Cars Where The Reality Failed To Live Up To The Expectation

Post by Warren t claim »

vwp1.PNG
vwp1.PNG (793.96 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
vwp2.PNG
vwp2.PNG (775.33 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
The VW Passat 1.9 TDI

It's the 7th anniversary of it shitting its gearbox on the busy first payday after Xmas. Plate 1313 and with exactly 13 miles on the trip. It failed at a set of traffic lights and almost everyone driving past, including the police, were armchair VAG experts asking me if the auto parking brake had locked on. I eventually sourced a previously cherished gearbox from a breakers in South Manchester and pressed it back into service. It disgraced itself six weeks later by suffering HGF the day before Mutha_Claims funeral.

To its credit, it did look nice and the punters liked it, at least until they tried to load cases through its tiny boot aperture, and the seats were a nice place to sit on for a shift. Sadly, this Passat was the entry level "van" spec and the two switches on the driver's door operating the remote boot and fuel flap were the only items above my first taxi, a 1995 Pug 405.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Mrs Rocker sees one like this every morning at the car lot down the road when she walks down the shops. He has it up for 2K. Based upon her previous sterling service from a Passat (a LOT older than this) she keeps mentioning how nice it looks.

I've told her to jog on and go a different way to the shop. Hopefully he'll land it on some other fucker before long.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

And what is it with Passats and wives? Mate had an 02 estate in silver, very nice car with about 65K on it from a bereavement sale. Went everywhere in it and intended to throw it up to double the mileage before even thinking about chopping it in. Before he'd got to 80K his missus started dribbling about a newer model because ISOFIX seats for the grandkids or some such shit.

Long story short, he flogged the 02 plater to a mate for £600, took out 10 times that from his finance lender and bought the newer one.

Up the pub he cried into his beer about spending £200 a month just to drive a car exactly the same colour and shape as the one he gave away (and had the same mileage) so that his missus could snap a car seat into it instead of faffing for a few more minutes.

I told him it was worse than that....I remember when they both rode their own Harleys out together without a care in the fucking world.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:53 pm so that his missus could snap a car seat into it instead of faffing for a few more minutes.
Fortunately, I dodged all that ISOFIX shit. Second-hand seats and faffing was the thing on my watch.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

gpz1.PNG
gpz1.PNG (508.54 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Yes, I know this isn't a car but it deserves a place on this thread.

The GPZ500. For all the shit talked about it at the time hyping it as the "4 Stroke LC" in reality, it was a bag of underpowered wank. As the training schools ran ER5's with the same engine I should have known better.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:43 am gpz1.PNG

The GPZ500. For all the shit talked about it at the time hyping it as the "4 Stroke LC" in reality, it was a bag of underpowered wank. As the training schools ran ER5's with the same engine I should have known better.
bmwcoupe1.PNG
bmwcoupe1.PNG (611.26 KiB) Viewed 1345 times

And to think I sold this tidy two owner 318is to buy it!
Kiltox

Post by Kiltox »

Rover 75. Rover bores wax on about them like they’re the second coming, especially the diesel powered one. It’s a BMW engine, don’tchaknow

Granted the one I had was baggy but it was just so… meh. Slow as fuck, horrible gearbox, comfortable-ish I suppose.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I wasn't too keen on my lexus ls400. Like you said people rave about them but to me it was just average in every way. The audi that replaced it trounced it in every respect.
I couldn't get away with my saab 95 vector sport 1.9tid. it handled quite well but that slava of having to put it into reverse befor it would let you take the key out juat pissed me right off. And why locate it behind the gearstick? Every single time I got in I'd try and put the key in the normal place where normal cars have it. It's not a saab quirk ot's just a pain in the tits. Only five gears on a 2006 car. It seemed like 6th was missing too. At 70mph it would be on 3k revs. My transhit is only 2.5k at 100mph. It did have big boots to fill after my v70. That wouldn't have helped.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Warren t claim wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:45 am
Warren t claim wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:43 am gpz1.PNG

bmwcoupe1.PNG

And to think I sold this tidy two owner 318is to buy it!
That's a thing of beauty.
I'd much rather my 323i looked like that, instead of having the M-tech kit on it.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Saab stuck the ignition by the gearbox, so that in the event of a crash, the ignition key doesn't go into your knee or thigh, or other bodily part.