Morris Minor Ratrod

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: Morris Minor Ratrod

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I've used that technique in the past but I used the bit with all the slits in to make the pattern for the replacement strip.

Si, have you ever thought about making a suitable patch first and then cutting the bit out that you want to replace?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Decision time

As you can see here, the fit isn't perfect on this panel and will need some work.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not sure how well this comes out but the panels have been welded with an overlap. But they've done it properly and welded both sides at least.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Still not decided. Cut the middle patch out to see what's going on behind. Appears they cut the grot right back. Multiple patches presumably because easier to do?
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I'll confess, when I suggested making a new lip I thought you'd cut the old one off rather than weld over it. :lol:

Regardless, from your picture on the beige.
unknown.png
unknown.png (642.38 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
It looks like the inner arch patches aren't actually attached to the floor, originally they'd presumably have been spotwelded together.
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (60.14 KiB) Viewed 1307 times
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Yeah I didn't cut it all off to give some material to attach to.

That side the inner arch is no longer attached but the other is. It was attached (just) but I cut the rusty bit on the bottom.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

That side now

Other back bit. You can see the line of penetration where the patch goes to.
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

I don't get the old repairs.

The overlap of panels is insane, like a good inch of extra material just buried to trap condensation. It's almost like they had squares cut to a particular size and just lapped them in whole to save time cutting them to shape.

I guess if you're on the clock and trying to turn a profit then steel is cheap and labour is expensive, but man what a mess. Looks like the area under the rear seat was done in a similar way, it won't be weak but what a moisture trap to add to an already rot prone area...

I wouldn't worry about cutting the arch patches out for structural integrity reasons given it's not even attached to the floor, sure it's that link that gives it any strength in the first place?
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Still not decided 🤣

While pondering I cut out a pitted section. Ton of crap hidden in there.

In a rush to get it done, I warped the fuck out of the repair patch. Oops.
Filler will be going back on here to level it all out anyway.

Failed in my objective on getting the arch replaced this weekend. I think I might cut out all those patches now. The only bit I'll keep is the bit the rear leaf spring attaches to. Otherwise I'll need to move my support and drop the axle. CBA to do that especially when that part is in really good nick.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

mercrocker wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:52 pm Doing it yourself puts value into it too, I never learned to weld or paint so I have to fork out for other people to do those things. I would need to go back to work to afford that now so it is going to have to wait.
If only....
The nature of the whole classic car scene these days means there is always a fool ready to part with big money for a basket case car. By the same virtue a good car will be overlooked. I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that unless you have money to burn or really enjoy the challenge, car restoration isn't worth the candle, especially on lower value cars.
That's not to downplay what SiC is doing, if he's enjoying it that's all to the good, I'm just 15 yrs further on... 😭
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell