Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
christine

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by christine »

After replacing a cv boot on a k11 , the HBOL says the joint goes back on the splines in the same place it came off..? Like mark the shaft and joint before removing it ... why ? I understand the reason on a universal joints on a prop , but a cv joint ?
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I have never marked a cv joint in 30+ years in the trade and never had a problem. It is the usual Haynes bollocks, if it is so important how do you replace a joint with a new one ? We used to mark Renault tripod joints but not CV's. God that has taken me back what a fucking game those tripod joints used to be.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2007 Honda Jazz 1.4 (for sale)
2010 Skoda Felica tdi (for sale)
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

fried onions wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:44 pm What was the first British car with a key start?
I don’t know, but it is an interesting question that occurred to me the other day whilst using the push button thing in my wife’s Dacia.

Whilst I wouldn’t want to go back to starting handles alone (I have used them for real, and they are hard work) I dislike the modern’s complete detachment from what is involved with starting an engine.

Best arrangement I have experience of is the original Fiat 500 with it’s two little levers behind the handbrake: one for mixture, the other the starter.
Like some old tractors I have used: no starter solenoid, no (horrible!) Bendix, just a simple rod that pulls the starter gear into mesh and then makes the electrical contact.
Less is more.
Any other cars use this minimalist arrangement?
Last edited by Asimo on Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Asimo wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:53 am
fried onions wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:44 pm What was the first British car with a key start?
I don’t know, but it as interesting question that occurred to me the other day whilst using the push button thing in my wife’s Dacia.
On a similar note, what's the last to use a key? as a push button seems pretty universal now.
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Vans all use keys. Ime anyway.
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 am
I don’t know, but it as interesting question that occurred to me the other day whilst using the push button thing in my wife’s Dacia.
On a similar note, what's the last to use a key? as a push button seems pretty universal now.
Most new stuff I've driven recently still requires a key, and that's quite a lot of cars, push buttons aren't as common as you think.
CBA
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Jazoli wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:37 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:01 am

Most new stuff I've driven recently still requires a key, and that's quite a lot of cars, push buttons aren't as common as you think.
Fair enough, must just be the new stuff I've been in. Which admittedly isn't a huge cross section.
Private signature, do not read
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Most of the smaller Audis have keys to start unless the owner has ticked the right box on the options list.
treehugger
The only technocripple in the village!

Post by treehugger »

brandersnatch wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:39 pm Most of the smaller Audis have keys to start unless the owner has ticked the wrong box on the options list.
EFA
As I suspected I was right about everything.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

I noticed what looked like a Bedford TM on a programme called Opal hunters, which is, I think, set in some remote and cold place, possibly in Northern USA. I only caught a few seconds of it as I was changing channels and I don't want to see any more as it as it looked horrible. In any case, the vehicle looked like a non runner parked up miles from civilisation. Seeing the antics of the locals we're talking many hundreds of miles.
I wonder if the TM cab was a UK design or Bedford acquired it from the US as they did with their earlier lorries. I can't find out from the usual sources but see that Cat eventually inherited the project for an all wheel drive version of this vehicle, but don't know if any were actually sold under their brand. Perhaps someone clever here does.