What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Chodweaver

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Chodweaver »

DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 am
Chodweaver wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am Put a replacement starter on the pink Corsa. No injuries were sustained. Thankfully.
Did you get chance to check the ignition switch?
Eh? Sorry, you've lost me...

(Or alternatively, what have I forgotten to do?...)

Anyhoo, today was 'check how I might have completely cocked up the camber angle at the front of the pink Corsa when replacing the coil springs' day. The answer seems to be 'I haven't: there's no adjustment for camber'. So the markedly uneven tyre wear on the fronts must be due to six nights of the week it being hauled around lots of tight turns with PAS and an unforgiving driver. Hey ho.

Later, while congratulating myself on the diligence with which I re-tightened the strut-to-hub bolts (59 foot-pounds, then 60°, then another 15°) it occurred to me that this procedure is a lot like that for cyl head bolts. Which are stretch bolts. And which shouldn't be reused.

Bollocks.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Chodweaver wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:26 am
DodgeRover wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:27 am
Chodweaver wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:24 am Put a replacement starter on the pink Corsa. No injuries were sustained. Thankfully.
Did you get chance to check the ignition switch?
Eh? Sorry, you've lost me...

(Or alternatively, what have I forgotten to do?...)

Anyhoo, today was 'check how I might have completely cocked up the camber angle at the front of the pink Corsa when replacing the coil springs' day. The answer seems to be 'I haven't: there's no adjustment for camber'. So the markedly uneven tyre wear on the fronts must be due to six nights of the week it being hauled around lots of tight turns with PAS and an unforgiving driver. Hey ho.

Later, while congratulating myself on the diligence with which I re-tightened the strut-to-hub bolts (59 foot-pounds, then 60°, then another 15°) it occurred to me that this procedure is a lot like that for cyl head bolts. Which are stretch bolts. And which shouldn't be reused.

Bollocks.
Common factor in starters failing on Corsas was an ignition switch that didn't always return from the start position leading to the starter running on once the engine is going.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

Just put the hazard warning switch in upside down.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

One out, one in.

Gone to bed for now!

This new storage has been a godsend to have. Not far from where we want to move to either.

Plan is to use the Boxster for the rest of the month, stop the tax and put it in storage till Spring next year. In Spring it'll come back out and have all the small niggly issues fixed. Also will likely treat it to a proper professional detail and getting it super shiny again, like PeterC did with it before I bought it. It's still shiny but it won't stay like forever unless it gets polished and waxed.

MGB will be used for the rest of September - unless weather really turns bad suddenly. Will be MOT'd mid Sept and I'm hoping/planning it won't need anything! Then it will be put in storage with the Boxster.

This should keep the worse of the winter elements off the two cars and keep them looking nice. Especially the Boxster.

Dolly is going to stay outside on the drive at home for now. This will allow me to continue working on it and get it sorted over the next few months. Hopefully before winter really sets in, we should finally move. Then it should go into the attached garage on the house, so I can work on it inside. 

This is the master plan if stuff doesn't get cocked up again.
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

I sold my audi 80, trying to sell a few more things and buy something like a Morris Minor as a usable classic. Image

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

RetroShite wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 am I sold my audi 80, trying to sell a few more things and buy something like a Morris Minor as a usable classic.
A Minor is a very different beast to your usual fleet style. Why the drastic change?
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

SiC wrote:
RetroShite wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 am I sold my audi 80, trying to sell a few more things and buy something like a Morris Minor as a usable classic.
A Minor is a very different beast to your usual fleet style. Why the drastic change?
I've been buying the same types of cars for years and now want to try something different.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

RetroShite wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am [I've been buying the same types of cars for years and now want to try something different.

It'll certainly be very different to what you are used to then! I got bored of 00s stuff and then started trying pre 80s British stuff. Kinda hooked now. Obviously they're all shit especially against more modern stuff, like most stuff of the era (all brands included), however they have a certain simplicity and charm to them that I can't but help like. British cars of that era especially are all very similar mechanically and body.
Once you've figured one, they're easy to work on another.

Helps that I didn't grow up when they were all very common and see when they were shit. Mostly the decent ones are left now.

I've always fancied a Moggy - especially the traveller. Get thumbs up from my wife too, which is always a plus.

Here is Tiff Needle sliding one around a track:
[youtube][/youtube]
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

SiC wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:46 am
RetroShite wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:00 am [I've been buying the same types of cars for years and now want to try something different.

Obviously they're all shit especially against more modern stuff, like most stuff of the era (all brands included),
We'll see what's still around in another 60 years. The old 'shit' or current modern stuff.

Minors are oversize go-karts. Avoid the early versions.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

I replaced a battery on a neighbour's car today and as a thank you they gave me this:
IMG_7609.jpg
IMG_7609.jpg (386.44 KiB) Viewed 4249 times
Quite high spec, four electric windows, remote lock, heated mirrors, electric sunroof, air con. My favourite feature is the 3/4 tank of petrol it came with.

The paint is poor on the doors because the painter died inbetween the colour and clear coat (?!)