What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by LynehamHerc »

I think some markets like Japan don't get rustproofing as they're expected to be scrapped before they rot away due to the severity of their MOT test.
Wasn't there a thing about 10-15 years ago about importing cars from places like Malta as they were a lot cheaper?
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

DB5.jpg
DB5.jpg (44.09 KiB) Viewed 4068 times
Read this shit as part of a newsfeed:

"Multi-million pound Aston Martin DB5 destroyed in Bond 25 filming"

I've used t-cut on worse.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I have, this very morning, been out and sanded down my wheel arches! Okay, that sounds a tad dramatic when what I actually did was sand down about an inch of inner wheel arch where I had noticed incipient rust when I waxoyled the arches. It is where Mercs start to rust so better to catch it early? Then I put that stuff on that turns black, then etch primer and then silver paint. In a minute when it's dried again, I will go and refresh the Waxoyl and then the jobs a good un! :)

I put a lot of paint on the very edges as well to protect them. It's a funny design as most of the inner arch is a full return but the very bottom is like the old fashioned style and it's that little bit that has acquired stone chips. It really is/was about an inch long and about a third of an inch outwards from the edge so it would 'probably' have been alright with just Waxoyl on there, but, I will stress about it.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

And now I have done the Waxoyling. Not sure if this new tin is better or I have just shaken it properly for once but it's come out like... er, wax! Sprayed where I wanted it to go and stayed there. Most unlike my usual efforts with Waxoyl as it usually goes everywhere but where I want the damn stuff!

I am now calling this little job 'done'.

Oh yeah, while blasting the good stuff around, did all the clamps that hold the (Genuine Mercedes no less) mudflaps on. They had gone brown and a tad rusty, now silver with a thick coat of Waxoyl, so just gungy white/cream then :)
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Out of interest what did you use to spray it as virtually everything I've used has clogged up quickly?
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

chadders wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:30 pm Out of interest what did you use to spray it as virtually everything I've used has clogged up quickly?

Do you mean the Waxoyl? I just used the spray cans that it comes in. Warmed it first and then shaken until my wanking arm was ready to fall off!
Chodweaver

Post by Chodweaver »

Junkman wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:30 pm This is the German "Allboy™" original...

To operate them requires intelligence, not force...
Shame. Drastically reduces the opportunities for Dave_numbers-style catastrophes and the ensuing rants.

Still, at least this engaging design is more likely to survive to confuse future generations.

Thanks for the instruction, Herr Junkman.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

xtriple wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:42 pm
chadders wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:30 pm Out of interest what did you use to spray it as virtually everything I've used has clogged up quickly?

Do you mean the Waxoyl? I just used the spray cans that it comes in. Warmed it first and then shaken until my wanking arm was ready to fall off!
Sorry - for some reason I thought that you'd used a can with one of the applicators that you can buy.
I'm still stuck 20 years ago or whatever before it came in aerosols.
John F

Post by John F »

I've had fairly good results in the past with a canister of Tetra Schutz screwed onto a compressed air spray gun.
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

My compressor is at the back of the garage where its been trapped for the last 8 years.
I may have to set it free.