What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Pretty certain this is identical to the one my Nan had. She deep fried the most amazing chips on it.

Friends parents still had one of these when I was really young.

The computer (along with a few Tesco voucher Acorn Archimedes) in primary school.

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Ah, nice warm storage for somebody's Mini maybe? Good to see though.....

Agree too that museums do have the effect of making one feel their age. Mind you, my Gran had that cooker and the washing machine, the top of which was covered when not in use with a piece of laminated formica which she proudly referred to as her "worktop".

Her fridge was a 1954 Electrolux which only failed when a hamfisted health visitor tried to open the latched door by yanking the thing outwards without pressing the button first. I think a bit of Gran died with that fridge, she didn't live many more years afterwards....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I think there was one of those Electrolux fridges just next to that oven and cabinet.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Must go and have a look one day.....Gran kept her Tricity right next to a blue and white cabinet just like that too. Got one myself up the tip some years ago and I often think of Gran making her butterfly cakes on the drop down flap before she got her "worktop" whenever I get eggs or butter out of it for breakfast....

At least you seem able to leave stuff in the museum rather than take it home with you!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

We've got a cabinet like that in the utility room except that it has a pull out shelf rather than a drop down flap.
christine

Post by christine »

Asimo wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:37 pm What’s happened to that Hilux outside Banburys?
He had new tyres too....just scrubbing them in ... ;)
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

SiC wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:59 pm Pretty certain this is identical to the one my Nan had. She deep fried the most amazing chips on it.

Friends parents still had one of these when I was really young.

The computer (along with a few Tesco voucher Acorn Archimedes) in primary school.
Grew up with all of those things, gas powered fridge, twin tub (also available with a mangle to get the water out of your clothes), big pot on the stove full of "lard" to fry everything in. Those were the days, none of this health living bollocks.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Forgot to add, my great grandmother had a proper 'Yorkshire Range" in her kitchen,'black leaded' and polished every week. I can still picture it, must be getting senile....
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Interesting this "healthy living" stuff....My grandparents fried or basted everything in lard, a pig's head got boiled every month for brawn and my Gran used to eat cold meat that had acquired a suspiciously green sheen to it. Maggots were left in the blackberries for the pie and only occasionally flicked from the apple in which they had gestated with little concern. Sugar sandwiches were not an uncommon treat at times when cream cakes could not be afforded. Both lived to their 90s but more importantly lived fully right to the end, their eventual demise coming very quickly....

I take many a leaf from their book.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Great Grandmother was in her late 80's when she slipped and fell down stairs. Grandmother was 87 when she got off the bus opposite her house, sat on the wall and had a heart attack. Mother was 90 when she died, hope this healthy living hasn't shortened my lifespan (dad was 81).