What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by LynehamHerc »

We're pretty pleased with our Up!, Citigo and Roomster but they're fairly simple and that suits us to the ground. They do what we want without any pretensions to grandeur, executiveness (is that a word?) or whatever.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

That's it. The a8 would be mega if it wasn't for the electrics.
She said it wouldn't start the other day and she had to use the key. I've had messages while driving saying the key is not present which makes you pull over asap in case the fucker cuts out.
I think a full charge of the battery might fix everything but I'm scared to disconnect it and take it out.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I don't think they are allowed to cut out with no key. I seem to recall reading it was considered unsafe if it was stolen and just cutout mid bend or some such bollocks.

Is there a battery in the key?
Private signature, do not read
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

No idea. There must be I think. You just pull the handle to open it and press a button to start even when the key's in your pocket.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:59 pm I don't think they are allowed to cut out with no key. I seem to recall reading it was considered unsafe if it was stolen and just cutout mid bend or some such bollocks.

Is there a battery in the key?
I understood that was the case as well.
But not allowed by legislation is not the same as won't happen is it?

If you've got two keys I'd change the battery in one and see what, if anything, happens.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Only one key.
My last two transits don't have changeable batteries in the key. They charge passively when you put them in the ignition. You have to cycle them to keep them charged.
Maybe explains why she had to put it in the ignition before it would start and why it doesn't recognise it.
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

I understand.

I'm several years/model cycles/decades behind.

Some of this really doesn't seem like progress to me, more like we can do it, it'll be a minor selling point so let's do it irrespective of any longer term effects.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

No way would they get away with it cutting out if the key isn't present but the engine is already running. If it did, US Lawyers would be all over their ass as someone will do it over there and take then to court after they get squished by a semi truck.

All the immobiliser systems I've seen go through an authorisation cycle and once authorised, it doesn't remove that unless the stop button is pushed.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

On my way to meet up with some mates in Czechia. Ridden 800kms today, stopping overnight in Perpignan. Forgot everything in France shuts on Mondays!

I've not seen rain since May, and not ridden on wet roads for at least 14 months. Was lucky today in that for about half an hour I was just behind the rain belt. The roads were soaking wet, but no rain fell on me.

Off over the Millau bridge tomorrow-not seen the weather forecast, so I'll presume rain, which I suited up for. Out of the last 13 years, only once has it been a dry trip.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Could be worse. Could be the A12 in February.