What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Swapped the Boxster with the MGB this week and being using it for work the last 2 days. Thankfully in the shopping centre multistorey car park that I use, both days I've managed to find single spaces next to pillars where no one else can park next to. I hate parking nice cars in the centre as they just get dented and ruined by careless idiots.

Mileage increase has slowed down a lot now that the MGB is in active rotation on the fleet now. Speaking of mileage, here are a bunch of satisfying odometer readings that happened today.

It is going to need some TLC soon though. Juddering/lumpyness is still noticeable and feels worse. But then driving slow speed around the city could mean I come across it more. Hoping that it's something simple like the coil packs and/or MAF. A set of six Beru coils are around 200quid for the parts. Porsche genuine are double.

Top mounts I think maybe suspect, but they can wait till it goes for a service later this year.

It's also suffering a small water leak too. When in regular use, it stays where it is. However if sat for a couple of weeks it will drop the level. Not chronically but still enough to go from max to mid way on the level. I've topped it up twice. At the moment I'm keeping a close eye on it but I'm hoping it can wait till when it gets serviced later in the year and let them diagnose it then. Not sure where its leaking from. Hopefully somewhere cheap and easy to fix!

Noticed that the alternator only puts out around 13.98v to the battery. To me that seems a little on the lower acceptable end for a modern alternator + battery?

Oh and the passenger window seal does this:
[youtube][/youtube]

Bloody annoying!
captain_70s

Post by captain_70s »

SiC wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:14 pm. I hate parking nice cars in the centre as they just get dented and ruined by careless idiots.
While washing the Acclaim yesterday I discovered somebody seems to have bumped it just ahead of the rear bumper on the O/S, presumably reversing out of a space beside it and misjudging the front overhang.

Just paint damage but it reminds me why I never bother with properly nice cars...
1976 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL - Field based greenhouse.
1977 Triumph Dolomite 1300 - Lean green oil dripping machine.
1983 Triumph Acclaim L - Japanglish daily runner.
1989 Volvo 740GLE Estate - Mobile storage unit.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Fucking arseholes should be beaten with hammers.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 am Fucking arseholes should be beaten with hammers.
I'm too lazy to find a gif but the Vinnie Jones plan of smashing their head in the door of a P6 seems a reasonable punishment.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Tyrone,you silly fat bastard
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The instrument panel on the Porsche is remarkably badly laid out and hard to read.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

fried onions wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:27 pm The instrument panel on the Porsche is remarkably badly laid out and hard to read.
It's the analogue speedometer that gets me. Literally useless for trying to keep to speed limits. I believe the markings are a Porsche thing. Most certainly why they put a digital Speedo readout in the middle digital display.

Rev counter is in the middle as that's what you care about the most when you're driving hard. Useful on a track and racing heritage you see. I see to remember such a comment advertising the fact in the Boxster brochure book you got. Yes they had the free brochure at the dealer as an actual book.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3725099211
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

As they will no doubt claim, the analogue gauge for the techo is retained because at a quick glance you can see the position of the needle and know the readout and not come off the track where you will drive the car every day.

You shouldn't have to squint and count which line you are above the major markings to see how fast you're going.

That's just silly and it probably only got type approval because the markings are in fives. Else each would be something stupid like 3.75 mph per graduation.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Here you go. Can't find a 986 (the Boxster model number) brochure but here is a 996 one (the 911 with the funny lights).

This is their reasoning on the position of the instruments. The key slot is on the other side for RHD cars.
Screenshot_20190629-000322_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20190629-000322_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 4421 times
Screenshot_20190629-000404_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20190629-000404_Adobe Acrobat.jpg (541.5 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Not to say that I fully agree for a car used day-to-day, but that's their reasoning nonetheless.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

PhilA wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:00 am That's just silly and it probably only got type approval because the markings are in fives. Else each would be something stupid like 3.75 mph per graduation.
Regulations say:
5.2.2. In the case of vehicles of categories M, N, and L3, L4 and L5 manufactured for sale in any country where imperial units are used, the speedometer shall also be marked in mph (miles per hour); the graduation shall be of 1, 2, 5 or 10 mph. The numerical values of the speed shall be indicated on the display at intervals not exceeding 20 mph and commencing at 10 or 20 mph. The indicated numerical speed value intervals need not be uniform.
(Latest regs, but older regs are similar)

So the analogue speedometer doesn't conform to specs. I think/reckon they get away with it as they have the digital speed in the middle. That read-out is not possible to remove from the screen, no matter what the dash computer screen is on.

It doesn't bother me too much, as I'm used to looking at the digital Speedo anyway. Partly because our other German car has an even more useless Speedometer... (Not my picture, but it's exactly like that)

Absolutely fucking useless.

Why? Well several problems with this. Firstly in a normal seating position, the bottom of that gauge is not really visible. Secondly the mid point of the gauge, at a point which it's easily readable at speed, is at a speed well in excess of the majority of the world's speed limits. Thirdly the car flat out (when new) can only do 120mph anyway, so why the hell does it go up to 180mph. Fourthly the gauge has quarter of the needle throw for nothing. Fifth, the big numbers at the lower end don't properly line up with the markers.

So essentially the gauge in all its use only uses around a quarter-ish of the needle throw - of which a large proportion of that isn't easily visible.

Thankfully the computer screen in the middle has a nice big digital speed read out you can put it on.